I'm eighteen and want to start acting- is it too late?

Watch this thread
Adaaa2004
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did Drama as a GCSE but dropped out at A-level, and now want to pick it back up. Is it too late to get anywhere? How would I go about it? Will I be disadvantaged by my inexperience?
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I studied BA (Hons) Acting at the University of Chichester, so hopefully I can help!

I did GCSE and A Level drama but it is possible to get into acting without either of these. There's loads of actors who made it later in life, like Morgan Freeman.

Although it's handy to have an A Level or Btec in some sort of performance area (this gives you some knowledge and experience), a lot of universities and drama schools are actually looking for life experience that you can draw upon. They can teach you the techniques but you need to show your passion, determination and experience in life that has shaped you as a person.

Have you tried to get involved in any local productions? This will help give you some acting experience.
I'd also recommend doing any reading or research you can into techniques and acting exercises you can so that you can draw upon your knowledge as well.

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions I'm happy to help.

Megan
Alumni Acting Student
University of Chichester
(Original post by Adaaa2004)
I did Drama as a GCSE but dropped out at A-level, and now want to pick it back up. Is it too late to get anywhere? How would I go about it? Will I be disadvantaged by my inexperience?
Last edited by ChichesterStuRep; 1 month ago
Adaaa2004
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ChichesterStuRep)
Hi there,

I studied BA (Hons) Acting at the University of Chichester, so hopefully I can help!

I did GCSE and A Level drama but it is possible to get into acting without either of these. There's loads of actors who made it later in life, like Morgan Freeman.

Although it's handy to have an A Level or Btec in some sort of performance area (this gives you some knowledge and experience), a lot of universities and drama schools are actually looking for life experience that you can draw upon. They can teach you the techniques but you need to show your passion, determination and experience in life that has shaped you as a person.

Have you tried to get involved in any local productions? This will help give you some acting experience.
I'd also recommend doing any reading or research you can into techniques and acting exercises you can so that you can draw upon your knowledge as well.

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions I'm happy to help.

Megan
Alumni Acting Student
University of Chichester
Tysm Megan! If I didn't get into a university or drama school, would it still be possible to continue acting professionally without those kind of academic qualifications, or do casting directors in theatre and film/tv generally require a degree or something similar in order to consider you?
University of Chichester
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adaaa2004)
Tysm Megan! If I didn't get into a university or drama school, would it still be possible to continue acting professionally without those kind of academic qualifications, or do casting directors in theatre and film/tv generally require a degree or something similar in order to consider you?
Going to a uni or a drama school will certainly benefit you as it will show you've been professionally trained to casting directors.

Universities and drama schools will also teach you professional development, covering how to register yourself as self-employed/taxes, unions, Equity and Spotlight, etc. These are all vital to learn about to become a professional actor.
Nearly all casting goes through Spotlight and to my knowledge you need to put your professional training to get an account. It might be possible without but you'd have to check that.

A lot of drama schools also offer summer programmes and workshops which might be an option to get some training. They will certainly develop new skills and provide you with some new techniques you can take into practise.

Megan
gaynor_scraggins
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Whether you decide to take an acting/drama course or not, the most important thing for you to do now is join a drama group and get some acting experience in a performance setting. Not only will this enhance your chances of getting getting acting work and/or a place at university, it'll help you decide if that's the path you want to follow.
Last edited by gaynor_scraggins; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads