Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Try your best to switch to a Tier 1 University Watch

ReputationRep:
    What a load of rubbish. Every Birmingham student is sitting in their room each night, carefuly carressing an LSE prospectus. Pining away, wondering what might have been......

But now they know their future isn't empty, there's still hope. Thanks good!
    I do wonder though how many Birmingham social science students did apply to the LSE. I also wonder which offer they would have taken if they were accepted by both institutions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    What a load of rubbish. Every Birmingham student is sitting in their room each night, carefuly carressing an LSE prospectus. Pining away, wondering what might have been......

But now they know their future isn't empty, there's still hope. Thanks good!
    Well, I would certainly give up Neuroscience to study International Relations at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Ohh, only Tier 2 people can move up?
    What'll happen to us POOR ex-poly students? :eek:
    Your fate is too horrific to even contemplate

(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Well, I would certainly give up Neuroscience to study International Relations at LSE.
    Of course, who wouldn't? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Your fate is too horrific to even contemplate

Noooo.
    I might as well die now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ohh, only Tier 2 people can move up?
    What'll happen to us POOR ex-poly students? :eek:
    If you're very, very lucky, a good fairy may come along and bewitch an admissions tutor at a fourth-tier university so he accidentally lets you in. And from then on you'll have to work your way upwards gradually, hopping from tier to tier. If no admissions fairy comes along you're doomed, though, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    If you're very, very lucky, a good fairy may come along and bewitch an admissions tutor at a fourth-tier university so he accidentally lets you in. And from then on you'll have to work your way upwards gradually, hopping from tier to tier. If no admissions fairy comes along you're doomed, though, I'm afraid.

But I only have half a year left! How will I ever manage all of that hopping in time? Also, how do I get from tiers four to three, and three to two?
    For that matter, what ARE tiers? I'm far too stupid to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo.
    I might as well die now.
    OK, but go about it quietly. We don't want your final cries of torment to annoy the tier one students.

I'm probably taking things too far now :p:

ReputationRep:
    The brown-nosing in this thread is getting silly now...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Vincente)
    I do wonder though how many Birmingham social science students did apply to the LSE. I also wonder which offer they would have taken if they were accepted by both institutions...
    To be fair, most I came across never applied because they didn't want to live in London. However, a fair number had turned down other, 'better' universities. Read into that what you will.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The brown-nosing in this thread is getting silly now...
    Care to elaborate on that?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

EDIT: Sorry for mentioning Birmingham, the name has now been replaced by ********** for the specified school to remain anonymous.

whats the point in replacing it with stars if your going to mention it at the bottom. Also, Birmingham is certainly not a rubbish uni

edit: I would also like to mention that your a prick :yep:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, most I came across never applied because they didn't want to live in London. However, a fair number had turned down other, 'better' universities. Read into that what you will.
    The first point is undoubtably true, although I would possibly question if yes to Birmingam then why not London? However, for your second point I again agree people could prefer slightly 'lower' universities on the basis of location, course content, atmosphere etc but I wonder how many people would turn down the LSE for a lesser university? (exluding universities other top universities such as Durham, Warwick, Nottingham etc).

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who turned down Cambridge for Glasgow. She's perfectly happy and doesn't regret it at all. I didn't even think tiers existed in this country.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The first point is undoubtably true, although I would possibly question if yes to Birmingam then why not London? However, for your second point I again agree people could prefer slightly 'lower' universities on the basis of location, course content, atmosphere etc but I wonder how many people would turn down the LSE for a lesser university? (exluding universities other top universities such as Durham, Warwick, Nottingham etc).
    To take as an example a person I know: grew up in London (hence not LSE), went to Birmingham instead of Warwick and Nottingham. I'm not implying that Birmingham is crawling with people who went there over Cambridge (although I have come across a couple), but it's not amazingly unusual. Amongst that list though, I think LSE is perhaps a special case - purely because most of the people I've come across that go there want an LSE degree for reasons other than that they like the university/course/department, ie. they want a particular (usually financial) job. In that sense, I think that most of the people that apply to LSE want to go there over and above any other university for that specific reason; but it doesn't follow that people who don't want those sorts of careers aren't happy to make their university decision according to where they like, rather than which universities are in particular 'Tiers'. I suspect that reflects the fact that LSE is 'miles better' less than that people perceive it as a ticket into Investment Banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    EDIT: Sorry for mentioning Birmingham, the name has now been replaced by ********** for the specified school to remain anonymous.
    That is genius.

EDIT: With the fact that I'm applying to Cambridge whilst at Manchester in my signature, it seems necessary to explain myself. I am not applying for career reasons or even particularly for reputation; I am applying wholly because I am in love with their classics course. I think when it comes down to universities being 'tiered', it's a sad situation -- which is probably why, away from TSR, universities aren't tiered with such ostensible precision.

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea where these imaginary tiers start and stop. What I do know is that I wouldn't be tempted to apply to somewhere like LSE even if you paid me. I've never desired to live in London and couldn't really afford to be a student there so why pretend otherwise.

I'm sure plenty of students at the so called 'tier two' universities are prefectly happy with their decision. I would hope that most have long since forgotten about the stupid league table snobbery that goes on and are instead focusing on working, and playing, hard.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham = Russell group
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by will274)
    That = not overly insightful statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will274)
    All by itself? Wow, that's amazing.

So it's a member of the Russell Group, why bring it up?

ReputationRep:
    not you again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.