Turn on thread page Beta

Try your best to switch to a Tier 1 University watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Really? Hmmm...I don't know anything about their chemistry department, but I've heard their physics department is good. Their planning department is just something else though, which brings me onto...

You've inspired me to better myself, good. Please reply to the PM. Thanks
    ???

They don't have science departments.

I thought a mod would know that.

:mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntensityIntegrityIntell)
    ???

They don't have science departments.

I thought a mod would know that.

:mad: :mad:
    You would have thought so, wouldn't you? Still, I'm just a "mod troll", aren't I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    You would have thought so, wouldn't you? Still, I'm just a "mod troll", aren't I?
    :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    i wish i cud switch to a tier 1 uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    For those of you freshers who have been attending a Tier 2 university for the past month or so, please do not be dishearted, there is always a way out.

You can always re-apply to other (better) universities as an undergraduate. Just make sure you have the necessary A level grades and EC, even better if you play an instrument and attend charity work.

My friend's brother did just that in 2006. Went to ********** and then applied for LSE and actually got an offer (which allowed him to study as a 2nd year undergraduate there).

So in a nutshell, don't waste too much time in your local student union bar. There is always something better waiting ahead.

EDIT: Sorry for mentioning Birmingham, the name has now been replaced by ********** for the specified school to remain anonymous.
    lol Birmingham still showed. I am considering switching to tier 1, or at least swtich uni cos i hate mine(Essex). Do you still have to go through UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    For those of you freshers who have been attending a Tier 2 university for the past month or so, please do not be dishearted, there is always a way out.

You can always re-apply to other (better) universities as an undergraduate. Just make sure you have the necessary A level grades and EC, even better if you play an instrument and attend charity work.

My friend's brother did just that in 2006. Went to ********** and then applied for LSE and actually got an offer (which allowed him to study as a 2nd year undergraduate there).

EDIT: Sorry for mentioning Birmingham, the name has now been replaced by ********** for the specified school to remain anonymous.
    So in a nutshell, don't waste too much time in your local student union bar. There is always something better waiting ahead.
    what happen if you don't have the necessary A levels? would a good year 1 grade be good enough???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverwolfalpha)
    what happen if you don't have the necessary A levels? would a good year 1 grade be good enough???
    Please take little notice of him, he's a troll. There's not "always something better waiting ahead", partiuclarly if you're at the institution that you're happy and conent enough at.

If you're asking for his opinion he wll not reply. At least, until his ban has expired.

ReputationRep:
    Im happy enough here at the bottom of the pile. I'd need a cable car to reach tier 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    i wish i cud switch to a tier 1 uni
    For Economics I'd probably say Nottingham is one. That's assuming Tier 1 is the "best in an area".

Unless you were being sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    lol Birmingham still showed. I am considering switching to tier 1, or at least swtich uni cos i hate mine(Essex). Do you still have to go through UCAS?
    First of all, congratulation. You have stood out from the crowd. There are so many people who cannot achieve certain things and worse of all, gullibly assume others can't too.

you do not necessarily have to go through UCAS, try writing directly to the admission office of the university of which you want to go to. Of course include your GCSE and A level grade, and the EC you have participated in. Also, remember to do the best you can at your year 1 becoz then again you can apply during the summer and see if the Tier 1 university will take you (either as a first year or a second year, varies between ppl, I know a couple of my friends have done that).

Finally, insulate yourself from the "You can't do it" noise. I have seen numerous case where some very potential candidates moved to a better school while the rest just remain going around in circle and getting nowhere all their life.

:o: :o: :o:

ReputationRep:
    would you care to explain the G5? in your view.

its not the uni you go to, its how you spend your time there - if you think its crap and hence are 'snobby' about it then you probably won't enjoy it. also some university departments are best in their field at less well known courses.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey. I'd need friggin scaffolding to get anywhere near what you class a 'Tier 1' University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

:rolleyes: Stupid. What's the point of that?
    Also, some universities are better for certain subjects/courses than "Tier 1 Universities."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

Great !

ReputationRep:
    Hmph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treasureBelle)
    Also, some universities are better for certain subjects/courses than "Tier 1 Universities."

which uni? which course? care to elaborate on your point? or is it "made up"????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    which uni? which course? care to elaborate on your point? or is it "made up"????
    TV Production at UCLan.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmmmmm...............

to be honest, never heard of this sort of course before......

but if you insist.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    mmmmmmmmm...............

to be honest, never heard of this sort of course before......

but if you insist.......

You've never heard of the course that I'm doing? You've argued with me about it before. :p:

Heard of grammar by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    to be honest, never heard of this sort of course before.
    That's not really suprising, is it?

But there's also architecture (where a few unis are arguably as strong as Cambridge and UCL/Bartlett, the only "tier 1 universities" who offer it). Planning at Cardiff (stronger than UCL who are, I think, the only tier one uni who offer it). Reading's estate management degree is stronger than Cambridge's. Newcastle and Nottingham had stronger agricultural departments than Imperial (back in the day before Imperial started to axe it).

Higher education isn't as simplistic as you make out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.