The Student Room Group

PE a level

I applied to take pe a level next year, alongside maths and geography, but I'm not 100% confident in my decision.. Some people are basically laughing at me for 'choosing a playing subject', and saying unis won't accept it. But, some people say it's a good idea and valid if ygm. The thing is, I don't even want to be a physiotherapist, or do a sports science degree.. So is there basically no point in picking it? I love sport, and I will probably try and do some coaching in the future, but that wouldn't really need the a level. Problem is, idk what to pick instead ? I want to do a geography degree btw. I originally swapped PE for bio because I thought it'd be more fun and easy, but bio is obviously the more 'respected' option. I could take EngLIt - I'm predicted a 9 in gcse lit and lang - but tbh I find it very boring sometimes, but I think I'm a good writer. Maybe politics?? But then I thought, politics prob isn't much 'better' than PE....
Original post by flyawayonmyzephr
I applied to take pe a level next year, alongside maths and geography, but I'm not 100% confident in my decision.. Some people are basically laughing at me for 'choosing a playing subject', and saying unis won't accept it. But, some people say it's a good idea and valid if ygm. The thing is, I don't even want to be a physiotherapist, or do a sports science degree.. So is there basically no point in picking it? I love sport, and I will probably try and do some coaching in the future, but that wouldn't really need the a level. Problem is, idk what to pick instead ? I want to do a geography degree btw. I originally swapped PE for bio because I thought it'd be more fun and easy, but bio is obviously the more 'respected' option. I could take EngLIt - I'm predicted a 9 in gcse lit and lang - but tbh I find it very boring sometimes, but I think I'm a good writer. Maybe politics?? But then I thought, politics prob isn't much 'better' than PE....

It’s An A level, the subject being called PE by no means makes it a bad subject to study. My friend study’s Chemistry, History and PE and has gotten offers from Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, QM. So no it’s not a bad subject to study, don’t listen to others just pick what you’ll enjoy the most. A levels are challenging to complete as it is.
What Uni subject aera do you think you might apply for - or are you looking at apprenticeships etc?
Nothing wrong with taking PE, as long as you get a good grade at the end. If you're passionate, that's even better. Don't do a 'more respected subject' and get a C if you think you can get an A or A* for PE.
Original post by McGinger
What Uni subject aera do you think you might apply for - or are you looking at apprenticeships etc?

I'm thinking geography..
I'm thinking geography..

Then you need to look at the entry requirements for Geog courses at a range of Unis to see what A level subjects are required or preferred.

And, read How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at Nottingham.
I studied PE at a level alongside biology, chemistry and Spanish.
I really enjoyed the course and think that there is a big benefit to taking subjects you actually enjoy. If you take a subject that you don't really like then you will probably not do as well as you would in PE.

In terms of future plans, maybe just look through a few different universities and see what the general entry requirements are. I have checked at Nottingham and it says you need AAB (excluding general studies or critical thinking) so you would be more than okay to apply there with the a levels you have.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Geography-BA

if you have any specific unis that interest you then like I said it might be a good idea to check.

Hope this helps,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest