help please

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys ,

My mental health has never been in such a bad place like it is now. I came to University during covid from Ireland and had a very bad start to begin with, as we weren't able to have face to face lessons with the exception of labs. This was really hard for me as I find it best for me to learn in a classroom. Anyways I'm in my second year of Biomedical science and I have done terrible so far. In first year I averaged a 63% but due to losing people in my life second year was down hill and I averaged a 52%. meaning I'm currently at a 2:2 band. I really want to do well and get a 2:1 or hopefully with God a 1st class.

Is there any hope for me and what do I need to get in third year to get this also any study tips?
Y2_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I was in a similar situation, they let me take time off uni and restart my second year. Maybe contact the uni?
manlikeme2324
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
hey bro

(Original post by Y2_UniMaths)
I was in a similar situation, they let me take time off uni and restart my second year. Maybe contact the uni?
do u do edexcel igcse ict
Y2_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by manlikeme2324)
hey bro

do u do edexcel igcse ict
I’ve no idea what this means. What a strange question to ask me??
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm really sorry for the hardships you've gone through.

Your third year essays should account for more of the overall percentage of your final mark than second year, so if you get firsts or 2:1s in your third year you'll probably come out with a 2:1

In regards to study tips, to ensure you have written down all important information, print out the lecture slides (3 slides per page) so you have the lecture slides in front of you and don't need to take notes on what is already on the slide, and can instead write down any new information the lecturer shares with you next to the relevant slide. If you keep these well organised (use a folder) it is really easy to use when writing up your assignments, as information is easy to find.

Then, to process the information you could go over your notes later that day or week, and make a word document summary of the information, or you could make mind maps, flow charts etc (You can use SmartArt on 'word'). Anything really that will help solidify the information in your mind, and through doing this you are actually creating helpful study material for yourself. A good way to study is through repetition, so go through these notes and perhaps make yourself flashcards and use these to test yourself or have others test you.

If you have exams, you could also make yourself a study plan, where you decide in advance what topic to revise each day, or give yourself a certain amount of hours to complete in a day, for example you may choose to revise four hours a day, but the way this is spread out throughout the entire day is up to you. I recommend revising in 1-2 hours snippets, in order for you to actually remember the information, instead of doing a lot at once and not being able to remember much. You can also try past papers.

Studying with peers would also be useful to you. I find going to the university library with others on my course to do my assignments or just to study material to be a great way to get things done. If you prefer to work alone, then still go to the library, as being in an environment where others are working can get you in the right mind frame and motivate you to work. There will also be less distractions so you'll be less likely to procrastinate.

I hope this proves helpful to you.

- Rosie
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 month ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys ,

My mental health has never been in such a bad place like it is now. I came to University during covid from Ireland and had a very bad start to begin with, as we weren't able to have face to face lessons with the exception of labs. This was really hard for me as I find it best for me to learn in a classroom. Anyways I'm in my second year of Biomedical science and I have done terrible so far. In first year I averaged a 63% but due to losing people in my life second year was down hill and I averaged a 52%. meaning I'm currently at a 2:2 band. I really want to do well and get a 2:1 or hopefully with God a 1st class.

Is there any hope for me and what do I need to get in third year to get this also any study tips?
Hi there,

My name is El and firstly, I just want to say you're doing so well regardless of how you feel. You're battling your battles daily and still able to do University on top of it all.

I just wondered if maybe having a sandwich year (taking a year out of uni) would help you as it'll mean you can have time to explore your mental health more and get professional help for it, along with giving yourself time to grieve properly, relax and come to terms with everything going on.
You've had a lot go on! You're doing University during a pandemic, that's very intense and it impacts everyone in certain ways. It's a very abnormal life to have right now but you're not alone in the struggles you're experiencing.

Deferrals and resits are also an option for you as well if you're not happy with a certain grade. Just means you will finish Uni later than others but what's the rush!

I would also see if your student union or uni doctors have any help for you and your struggles- Universities usually have a 'Student Disability & Wellbeing' department which help people with mental health. I used this to my advantage and it helped me so much throughout my three years at Coventry; without it, I don't think I'd be here, talking to you about advice with a first as my official grade of University. It truly helps to ask for help.

I would also say, you're still passing University regardless of it not being the grades you expected or wanted. You're still doing it and the fact you want to try harder, shows you're a great student and passionate to become the best version of yourself. Just keep trying, keep studying and see if there's any helpful revision techniques the uni or social media can offer you. Youtube sometimes has great tips and advice for students.
University does sometimes do an overall grade of all your grades which helps with people who had one bad year but did great in the other two years. For example, most of my grades were 68% which is 2:1 but due to the odd times I got 1sts, I was overall given a 1st for my entire degree! So who knows, after the third year, you may be offered a high 2:1 which is brilliant!

I hope this helps- health comes first so do whatever works for you and you alone.

El
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads