The Student Room Group

Student accommodation

I’m in student accommodation currently in private halls. I’m really struggling with the heat in my accommodation currently, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It was really warm in winter but as it was cold outside it did cool down a bit. However the last few months it is consistently 30•c all day and night. I’ve tried everything I can think of to lower the temp and nothing helps. The building staff don’t reply to emails and I can’t find anyone to help me with this issue. Has anyone had an issue like this before and know how I can fix this? Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in student accommodation currently in private halls. I’m really struggling with the heat in my accommodation currently, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It was really warm in winter but as it was cold outside it did cool down a bit. However the last few months it is consistently 30•c all day and night. I’ve tried everything I can think of to lower the temp and nothing helps. The building staff don’t reply to emails and I can’t find anyone to help me with this issue. Has anyone had an issue like this before and know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Hello... Maybe use white cloths/t-shirt to cover the windows coz it with help to reflect the heat and open the windows to let in some breeze...try to keep the room dark[from sunlight] and if u have a fan then put some ice near it or cool stuff this will cool down the room faster :smile:
Hope that helps

Yeah I used to live in a student halls building that had unsufferable heat, some things I found which helped a lot were:

1. Tape your windows in tin foil (shiny side facing out) to reflect as much of the sunlight out before it heats up the room.
2. Keep your windows open during the night/late evening but close them before midday.
3. Keep your curtains/blinds open during the night/late evening but close them before midday.
4. This fan from Argos is very effective: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4250801?clickSR=slp:term:fan%20desk:8:42:1
5. Put a fan on your window sill at an angle, backside facing an open window, to draw cold air from the outside in and circulate it around the room.
6. Try to keep all windows open on your floor even if they aren't directly related to your room.
7. Try to find a skylight and open it.
8. Tell the staff at the reception that you're so hot that you're getting dizzy and exhausted. The staff may be slow to respond, but they won't typically risk an accident occurring. Ask them to relocate you to a room lower down or open a skylight.
Original post by Feastful
Yeah I used to live in a student halls building that had unsufferable heat, some things I found which helped a lot were:

1. Tape your windows in tin foil (shiny side facing out) to reflect as much of the sunlight out before it heats up the room.
2. Keep your windows open during the night/late evening but close them before midday.
3. Keep your curtains/blinds open during the night/late evening but close them before midday.
4. This fan from Argos is very effective: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4250801?clickSR=slp:term:fan%20desk:8:42:1
5. Put a fan on your window sill at an angle, backside facing an open window, to draw cold air from the outside in and circulate it around the room.
6. Try to keep all windows open on your floor even if they aren't directly related to your room.
7. Try to find a skylight and open it.
8. Tell the staff at the reception that you're so hot that you're getting dizzy and exhausted. The staff may be slow to respond, but they won't typically risk an accident occurring. Ask them to relocate you to a room lower down or open a skylight.

Thanks. It’s impossible to get a hold of the staff, they don’t answer the phones or emails or stay in reception. There are also no windows on my floor that are communal, just my studio window and the hallway has no windows, so it just holds the heat in. I’ve tried most of this stuff but nog the tin foil thing so I’ll try that thank you.

Have you submitted fault reports through the official routes (i.e. not just by emailing building staff, unless that is the official fault reporting process)?

Is there an actual fault (i.e. the heating is stuck on, or there's air conditioning but it's not working) or is the building naturally absorbing and retaining heat and you have no way of getting rid of the heat?

Are other people experiencing this problem, or is it just you/your room?

I appreciate that you've said this is private halls, but it might be worth talking to your university's accommodation office to see if they can advise you. If you've done everything you reasonably can with the accommodation provider, the university might be able to contact them on your behalf.

Quick Reply

Latest