Scared- French GCSE

Watch this thread
srija08
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have my French Listening and Reading papers tomorrow!!!
Aiming for grade 9...Any advice?
JAH36
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Get lots of rest! Good luck for tomorrow and remember that grades don't define you!
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey- I'm in y13 and I'm doing French A level. In my GCSEs, I got a 9 for French. Here are my top tips:

• In the listening, use the first time to sit and listen to the recording and take in everything they say, if you want you can jot down possible answers that you think are correct. The second time around, consolidate this knowledge by listening for the answers and making sure you're okay with them.
  • I can't remember how much time you get to read through the paper before the audio starts but if you can, go through and think of synonyms or the translation of the word so that when you here it you can identify the answer
  • For the reading, it will sound obvious, but make sure that you know the differences between your tenses because this can really affect the way you understand a question. For example, the conditional and imperfect tenses have the same endings but are formed differently.
  • Read the questions thoroughly and don't rush yourself because that can be your biggest downfall.
hope this helps x
njcnd mjn
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by evakesiax)
Hey- I'm in y13 and I'm doing French A level. In my GCSEs, I got a 9 for French. Here are my top tips:

• In the listening, use the first time to sit and listen to the recording and take in everything they say, if you want you can jot down possible answers that you think are correct. The second time around, consolidate this knowledge by listening for the answers and making sure you're okay with them.
  • I can't remember how much time you get to read through the paper before the audio starts but if you can, go through and think of synonyms or the translation of the word so that when you here it you can identify the answer
  • For the reading, it will sound obvious, but make sure that you know the differences between your tenses because this can really affect the way you understand a question. For example, the conditional and imperfect tenses have the same endings but are formed differently.
  • Read the questions thoroughly and don't rush yourself because that can be your biggest downfall.
hope this helps x
Thank you so much for your advice. Do you think past papers are useful to do the night before?
srija08
Rep:
(Original post by evakesiax)

hope this helps x
Thank you so much
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show

evakesiax
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by njcnd mjn)
Thank you so much for your advice. Do you think past papers are useful to do the night before?
If i'm being honest, it's completely up to you. I personally wouldn't because the night before is best to go over and consolidate your knowledge of the grammar and the vocabulary. You can if you want but I think it would be better doing grammar worksheets and vocab tests on quizlet just so you know that you know the grammar off by heart
srija08
Rep:
Hello! I am doing mine tomorrow. I think so but, its best to revise all the vocab first [also the last thing before the exams I prefer doing]...Doing the past papers just put me into the mood and like it helps u to remember the key points to remember while answering the questions
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Have a look through them to familiarise yourself with the format.
And remember, have a guess and answer every question, even if you aren't sure. Sometimes putting one or two words down can get you some marks for the listening paper.
njcnd mjn
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll learn some last minute vocab. Also, for anyone who did or is doing AQA French, you know on the section where we have to write our answers in French (on the reading). Do we literally copy the answer from the passage or put it in our own words (in French obviously) ... thank you : )
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll learn some last minute vocab. Also, for anyone who did or is doing AQA French, you know on the section where we have to write our answers in French (on the reading). Do we literally copy the answer from the passage or put it in our own words (in French obviously) ... thank you : )
It's up to you but I would definitely advise copying it from the text because if you use your own words, you could risk manipulating the language incorrectly. Plus the answers are laid out for you so I would say copy.
jamest0394q
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
yh im pretty sure u do
njcnd mjn
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks again guys : )
elodieowen
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by srija08)
I have my French Listening and Reading papers tomorrow!!!
Aiming for grade 9...Any advice?
same but i dont feel prepared after i flunked my speaking!!!!
user93_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
omg same D: what's worse is all my friends said they found it good and did rlly well but I messed it up aaghhh
(Original post by elodieowen)
same but i dont feel prepared after i flunked my speaking!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads