Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I've noticed on my Micra that I've worn away the tread on the rim of the front tyres :sad:

Oh well, now my work mates have told me I might as well get these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165649

Then just 2 new tyres because, A) Looks better B) Go a little faster and will handle better as chunkyer tyres. C) Sell your old tyres on ebay for £50.

So thats £200 + fitting...

I've been shopping around for quotes for just tyres. Seems kwik fit want £120 for 2 tyres + fitting + nicking my old tyres.

Looked at some other websites, cheap tyres at £80 for 2 without fitting etc. I'll be going around town tomorrow finding some indipendant garages to get some quotes. Might need to have my wheels balanced as well considering I've only worn away the outer rims of the tyres.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to what I should do or where to shop.

ReputationRep:
    how will it 'go a little faster'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    how will it 'go a little faster'?
    Well I've deduced that Alloys --> Lighter --> Less weight --> More speed.

Generally how I thought it would work. I'm not bothered either way.

ReputationRep:
    tyres come in 3 grades. cheap tat, medium, or premium. cheap tat tyres won't last as long as the others, but will only cost £20 a tyre. medium are what most people go for. you are looking at £30 - £50 a tyre. the premium tyres are the branded ones, like dunlop and michellin. these generally cost £60+, and most garages will try and sell you them because they will get most commision on them.
    at our place, i think it's like £5 commision per tyre no matter what make, but i would expect other garages to probably make more off the more expensive ones.
    ask what grades they can provide you with when you call up for quotes.
    also, we charge £89 for tracking, and i think it's around £20 to fit the tyres. but we are quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Youse insurance will go as high as the Floating Island with some of them rims.

Or you could not tell the insurance company (legalised theives). I certainally haven't not told them about my sport elite washer nozzles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax Terrier)
    I certainally haven't not told them about my sport elite washer nozzles.
    how much extra bhp do they give?

ReputationRep:
    how much extra bhp do they give?
    I estimate that they have lost me 22lb-ft of torque, being Peugeot-Citroen parts.

I don't know what that is in horses.

ReputationRep:
    I always spend money on my tyres because at the end of the day, those black things on each corner are the only thing stopping you going off and hitting that tree at every corner.

Thus, I always buy Dunlop or Bridgestone tyres. Out of the two, the Bridgestone Turanza is an awesome tyre, much more grip than the Dunlop SP Sports I have on my car now. Both are around £90/corner but will probably be cheaper than that on a micra due to the small x-sectional area of the tyre and they are a normal profile. So I would imagine you would spend £120 on two new, premium tyres on the front which should give you better handling and grip.

I wouldn't worry about getting alloys, unless you put alloys all round it will look silly.

Also, who on earth buys almost worn out tyres on ebay!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I always spend money on my tyres because at the end of the day, those black things on each corner are the only thing stopping you going off and hitting that tree at every corner.

Thus, I always buy Dunlop or Bridgestone tyres. Out of the two, the Bridgestone Turanza is an awesome tyre, much more grip than the Dunlop SP Sports I have on my car now. Both are around £90/corner but will probably be cheaper than that on a micra due to the small x-sectional area of the tyre and they are a normal profile. So I would imagine you would spend £120 on two new, premium tyres on the front which should give you better handling and grip.

I wouldn't worry about getting alloys, unless you put alloys all round it will look silly.

Also, who on earth buys almost worn out tyres on ebay!?
    i disagree, especially on a small car like a clio. fair enough spending more than average on a Type R or Clio Sport. but for the average run of the mill 1.2/1.4/1.6 they just arent necessary.

if the only thing holding you on the road is those 4 permium tyres then you seriously need to rethink your driving and attitude on the road. i always buy the cheapest brands purely because my car aint worth it, they last as long as any other tyre does (it came with GT2's on), and i get more than satisfactory grip. in fact, unless your a professional driver and/or in a fast car then your practically never going to tell the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilesTails)
    Hmm, I've noticed on my Micra that I've worn away the tread on the rim of the front tyres :sad:

Then just 2 new tyres because, A) Looks better B) Go a little faster and will handle better as chunkyer tyres. C) Sell your old tyres on ebay for £50.

So thats £200 + fitting...

I've been shopping around for quotes for just tyres. Seems kwik fit want £120 for 2 tyres + fitting + nicking my old tyres.

Looked at some other websites, cheap tyres at £80 for 2 without fitting etc. I'll be going around town tomorrow finding some indipendant garages to get some quotes. Might need to have my wheels balanced as well considering I've only worn away the outer rims of the tyres.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to what I should do or where to shop.
    Why would you then just need 2 new tyres? I understood it is a package 4 wheels and 4 tyres.

The alloys will need to be the same rolling radium as your old wheels and tyres? What is your current tyre size?

Your wheels should alwyas be balanced when new tyres are fitted. Maybe you mean you think the tracking might need adjusted ie. if one side of your tyres is wearing worse than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    Why would you then just need 2 new tyres? I understood it is a package 4 wheels and 4 tyres.
    No **** Sherlock?

(Original post by mr_cool)
    The alloys will need to be the same rolling radium as your old wheels and tyres? What is your current tyre size?
    Current tyre size is 13" and no the alloys wouldn't need to be the same radius as my current wheels, you can put bigger wheels on a car you know :curious:

Why would I put my old tyres on new alloys which come with tyres anyway? :rolleyes:

Anyway, been to 3 different garages today and only kwik fit stock my actual tyre size and they wanted £150 for 2 tyres :indiff:

Yah, I'm beginning to think just getting the 4 new ones from halfords being the best option.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree, especially on a small car like a clio. fair enough spending more than average on a Type R or Clio Sport. but for the average run of the mill 1.2/1.4/1.6 they just arent necessary.

if the only thing holding you on the road is those 4 permium tyres then you seriously need to rethink your driving and attitude on the road. i always buy the cheapest brands purely because my car aint worth it, they last as long as any other tyre does (it came with GT2's on), and i get more than satisfactory grip. in fact, unless your a professional driver and/or in a fast car then your practically never going to tell the difference.
    Well its up to you.

I prefer to spend money on all my cars because no matter what the engine size or expense of the car, physics still applies.

And what do you mean driving and attitude on the road, of course tyres are not the only thing holding me on the road, you have the suspension geometry, CG, all sorts, but ultimately, tyres are a pretty major part of the grip and handling a car has! That is pretty ******* obvious if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well its up to you.

I prefer to spend money on all my cars because no matter what the engine size or expense of the car, physics still applies.

And what do you mean driving and attitude on the road, of course tyres are not the only thing holding me on the road, you have the suspension geometry, CG, all sorts, but ultimately, tyres are a pretty major part of the grip and handling a car has! That is pretty ******* obvious if you ask me.
    what i meant was that if you need that little extra traction, then you are driving too close to the limit for roads. you must admit, on our cars theres a strong element of snob value.

ReputationRep:
    what i meant was that if you need that little extra traction, then you are driving too close to the limit for roads. you must admit, on our cars theres a strong element of snob value.
    Umm, I think there will be quite a difference, especially after the difference I have noticed between two premium brand tyres. The Dunlops are useless in the wet but good in the dry, the Bridgestones are an awesome all rounder. You don't need to be pushing a car to feel that or know the difference.

Snob value perhaps, but I have piece of mind knowing that there is a decent ring of rubber on each corner.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be wasting your money if you're getting rims for a micra.

a Micra was my first car, i didn't accesorise it or anything as there was no need, after all its only a micra.

Save your money, when you have a better car, think about adding rims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilesTails)
    No **** Sherlock?

It seemed when you said this you would be getting 2 tyres.

Then just 2 new tyres

Current tyre size is 13" and no the alloys wouldn't need to be the same radius as my current wheels, you can put bigger wheels on a car you know :curious:

Yes I know you can put bigger wheels on a car I am not stupid, but you can't just bolt any wheels and tyres on. I didnt say the alloys need to be 13" - When I said rolling radius that is not the wheel size itself. Your new 15" alloys including the tyres should be the same rolling radius as your 13" wheels including tyres.

reasons for this:
    Over sizing wheels and tyres could cause bodywork clearance problems, it will effect your cars performance and gearing, your speedometer will most likley become incorrect

What is your current tyre size and I will calculate if the ones you are looking it could cause a problem here.

Why would I put my old tyres on new alloys which come with tyres anyway? :rolleyes: I didnt suggest you should do this...they wouldnt fit anyway would they

Anyway, been to 3 different garages today and only kwik fit stock my actual tyre size and they wanted £150 for 2 tyres :indiff:

What is your tyre size? that is expensive

Yah, I'm beginning to think just getting the 4 new ones from halfords being the best option.
    I wonder why I bother going to the effort of helping people sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Umm, I think there will be quite a difference, especially after the difference I have noticed between two premium brand tyres. The Dunlops are useless in the wet but good in the dry, the Bridgestones are an awesome all rounder. You don't need to be pushing a car to feel that or know the difference.

Snob value perhaps, but I have piece of mind knowing that there is a decent ring of rubber on each corner.
    i think your exaggerating the differences there slightly.

ReputationRep:
    i think your exaggerating the differences there slightly.
    No really, the SP Sports are useless in the wet! Bugger all grip at all compared to when they are dry and especially compared to the Bridgestones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No really, the SP Sports are useless in the wet! Bugger all grip at all compared to when they are dry and especially compared to the Bridgestones.
    Disagree. I've burnt out 2 sets of those on the MG and they've been great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Disagree. I've burnt out 2 sets of those on the MG and they've been great.
    Funny, I remember you saying about 6 months ago that they were useless in the wet as well.

They are fine in the dry, just in the wet.

Maybe it is the setup with my car as well, but seriously, they just spin up straight away with no revs at all and tricky to brake on in serious wet conditions as they can emphasize understeer.

Dad has them on the E-Type and again they are fine in the wet or dry, but they have a completely different tread pattern.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.