The Student Room Group

Econ AQA paper 1 2022

Did anyone do context 1 on labour markets and essay 3 on disposable income ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yh I did. I think I defo got the diagram for the 9 marker wrong :frown:
Original post by Taz.
Yh I did. I think I defo got the diagram for the 9 marker wrong :frown:

Which one did you do??
Original post by Pollyssmith

I did context 2 and essay 3
Original post by Pollyssmith

What did u write about on15 and 25 marker for essay 3?
Original post by Adam123789
I did context 2 and essay 3

I did the exact same
(Original post by Adam123789)What did u write about on15 and 25 marker for essay 3?

What did u write about on15 and 25 marker for essay 3?

For the 15 marker I wrote about how inheritance makes a difference and talked about how you inherit education and skills levels from your parents, which made for some labour markets diagrams. And how inheritance can also lead to differences in wealth which in turn impact income inequality.
I also talked about how old age leads to inequality.
For the 25 marker I basically made the same point again but reversed the logic chain by talking about how they could increase education and training levels to reduce inequality (once again with labour market diagrams). Evaluated that by talking about how some people may opt not to get educated.
The second point was about how government intervention and taxation works. Evaluated that by talking about negative impacts on incentives.
Original post by Aguero9320
(Original post by Adam123789)What did u write about on15 and 25 marker for essay 3?

For the 15 marker I wrote about how inheritance makes a difference and talked about how you inherit education and skills levels from your parents, which made for some labour markets diagrams. And how inheritance can also lead to differences in wealth which in turn impact income inequality.
For the 25 marker I basically made the same point again but reversed the logic chain by talking about how they could increase education and training levels to reduce inequality (once again with labour market diagrams). Evaluated that by talking about how some people may opt not to get educated.
The second point was about how government intervention and taxation works. Evaluated that by talking about negative impacts on incentives.

Tbh i have wasted my time one context 2, 25 marker im sure i didn't do well cuz idk what was going on on extract anyway I wrote about tacit oligopoly, contestiblity, price wars, allocative efficiency, consumer surplus idont remember the rest and didn't do proper Eva and judgement. For essay 2 15 marker: I wrot about age and impact on income inequality and ownership of asset and property and wage differential plus poor education and structural unemployment. For 25 marker i wrote about NMW in one hand and tax + gov spen on welfar or benifits on other hand and talked about laffer curve and its effect on judgement. Idk i hope I pass tbh
Tbh i have wasted my time one context 2, 25 marker im sure i didn't do well cuz idk what was going on on extract anyway I wrote about tacit oligopoly, contestiblity, price wars, allocative efficiency, consumer surplus idont remember the rest and didn't do proper Eva and judgement. For essay 2 15 marker: I wrot about age and impact on income inequality and ownership of asset and property and wage differential plus poor education and structural unemployment. For 25 marker i wrote about NMW in one hand and tax + gov spen on welfar or benifits on other hand and talked about laffer curve and its effect on judgement. Idk i hope I pass tbh

tbf, this is exactly the sort of stuff I thought that I should have done after the exam finished, as long as you explained your points that you have mentioned here well, you are going to do brilliantly. Good luck for the second paper!
Original post by Loganblakelevi
How well do you normally do for micro? I wrote the exact same points as you for essay 3 and want to know how well I did lmao

Original post by Aguero9320

hh
(edited 1 year ago)

For context 2 25marker
I said they are price leadership colluded oligopoly as the context said they are lead by Tesco
Economies of scale—> increase dynamic efficiency with reduced cost which increase quality of goods or lower price for consumer However, it all depends on how the firm will use the money
Restricted Choice as the context mention fewer choice—> increase welfare as optimal choice is made due to reduced in choice However, reducing variety of choice will also reduce welfare. It depends on whether they reduce to the level that maximise welfare Mc=Mr
how collusion lead to allocative inefficiency and decrease consumer surplus. Although it is illegal but It is hard to detect as it is a price leader as the paragraph us “lead by Tesco”. However, MC=MR doesn’t always mean allocative efficiency as externalities.
I feel like should I write smth on price wars non price competition Don’t know if I could get marks

For 15 marker,

I wrote about wage differentials due to skill required and no. of substitutes lead difference elasticity
use examples such as cleaners and pilots
I also wrote labour discrimination such as gender pay gap to show the perceived differences productivity in productivity lead to wage differences. I also use globalisation to say “brain drain” in high productive sector and immigrant in low productive sector

for 25 marker,
I wrote NMW, progressive tax, meantested benefit and evaluate and choose the best

I feel like I did really bad on oligopoly cuz I thought Tesco is colluded and we have to only talk about the benefits and disadvantages of colluded oligopoly. Hopefully I can still get level 4
(edited 1 year ago)
Did anyone do context 2 essay1?
Original post by vienna.costello
Did anyone do context 2 essay1?

I did context2, how did you find it?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kkhgvhhhh
I did context2, how did you find it?

I honestly found it horrible cuz the extract confused me so much, like I said some stuff about price wars ensure lower prices across the market and stability and other things like dynamic eff. Also when tesco and someone else tried to merge they prob werent doing it for the consumers interest but to protect market share against the discounters but I found I was waffling my knowledge, not really explaining it properly how bout u
Original post by kiwizor123
I honestly found it horrible cuz the extract confused me so much, like I said some stuff about price wars ensure lower prices across the market and stability and other things like dynamic eff. Also when tesco and someone else tried to merge they prob werent doing it for the consumers interest but to protect market share against the discounters but I found I was waffling my knowledge, not really explaining it properly how bout u

I think I messed it up as I thought the Big Four is colluded so I only talked about economies of scale which leads to dynamic efficiency and the restricted choice which increase welfare and the allocative inefficient as they act like monopoly. I really think I should have bring price wars and non price competition.
I think yours will be fine at least you did follow the track of context
(edited 1 year ago)
For context 2 25marker
I said they are price leadership colluded oligopoly as the context said they are lead by Tesco
Economies of scale—> increase dynamic efficiency with reduced cost which increase quality of goods or lower price for consumer However, it all depends on how the firm will use the money
Restricted Choice as the context mention fewer choice—> increase welfare as optimal choice is made due to reduced in choice However, reducing variety of choice will also reduce welfare. It depends on whether they reduce to the level that maximise welfare Mc=Mr
how collusion lead to allocative inefficiency and decrease consumer surplus. Although it is illegal but It is hard to detect as it is a price leader as the paragraph us “lead by Tesco”. However, MC=MR doesn’t always mean allocative efficiency as externalities.
I feel like should I write smth on price wars non price competition Don’t know if I could get marks

For 15 marker,

I wrote about wage differentials due to skill required and no. of substitutes lead difference elasticity
use examples such as cleaners and pilots
I also wrote labour discrimination such as gender pay gap to show the perceived differences productivity in productivity lead to wage differences. I also use globalisation to say “brain drain” in high productive sector and immigrant in low productive sector

for 25 marker,
I wrote NMW, progressive tax, meantested benefit and evaluate and choose the best

I feel like I did really bad on oligopoly cuz I thought Tesco is colluded and we have to only talk about the benefits and disadvantages of colluded oligopoly. Hopefully I can still get level 4

I also did essay 3 and wrote the same stuff as you - so relieved as i thought i misinterpreted the question somehow
I think I messed it up as I thought the Big Four is colluded so I only talked about economies of scale which leads to dynamic efficiency and the restricted choice which increase welfare and the allocative inefficient as they act like monopoly. I really think I should have bring price wars and non price competition.
I think yours will be fine at least you did follow the track of context

no u are right tho. u could have deffo talked about potential collusion as a measure of protection against the rising discounters like asda. Honestly there wasnt much to talk about the customer's interests like the only thing i thought of was low prices and the delivery infrastructure but apart from that nothing much lol. Good thing we are the last covid year so grade boundaries will be lower than 2019s so <68% for an A
Did anybody do the context 1 data response? If so, what did you put for the 25 marker regarding gov intervention to protect worker interests in the gig economy?
Hi did this paper stick to the advanced spec because I’m hearing a lot of aqa have had lots of stuff outside advanced info come up?
(Asking for my aqa chemistry exam )
Original post by ibrahimx04
Did anybody do the context 1 data response? If so, what did you put for the 25 marker regarding gov intervention to protect worker interests in the gig economy?
Original post by acestar123
Hi did this paper stick to the advanced spec because I’m hearing a lot of aqa have had lots of stuff outside advanced info come up?
(Asking for my aqa chemistry exam )

I've just had aqa geog and they stuck exactly to the spec

Quick Reply

Latest