Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok here are my rules of vodka
    1) Dont drink it if it is at all possible
    2) Always have a good meal before drinking eventhough you don't think you will be drinking much
    3) Drink it in small doses with long intervals (even if you don't feel 'tipsy' immediately) as it takes about an hour for an average drink to get completely into the blood
    4) drink water

Trust me I have had many forgotten nights and hangovers because of this stuff. 9 times out of 10 I would have had a better night without it. If you just want to get tipsy just have 2 large glases of wine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    As much as possible?
    Surely not whilst fencing though old chap? I shudder to think of the concequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenssen)
    Surely not whilst fencing though old chap? I shudder to think of the concequences.
    Are you joking? I've yet to meet a sober fencer.

ReputationRep:
    Bottle of wine? As in a whole bottle?

Good god. I'd say about 2-3 shots (2 of those little bottles) and I call it a day. I haven't gone out enough to set a higher limit, which is great 'cause I save much more ££s than my companions.

You're obviously still capable of typing and posting so you can't be THAT bad. Have another one

Then go away and enjoy the floating feeling.

Dance about trying to cook, or talk to someone, that's always fun. More fun if they, too, are smooshed.

ReputationRep:
    About 300ml is what you should drink on an average day.

ReputationRep:
    I normally drink about 500ml ... but its all a matter of personal preference.

And always Smirnoff Blue, none of this cheap crappy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    When you fall over...you know you should put the bottle down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni!)
    how much is too much? like i dont wanna go unconscious n die like lolz. just wondering how much does it take to get pissed when you mix it with stuff, and whats the limit you should really. so far im drinking a small bottle. dont wanna over do it though like lol
    Depends with me
    Sometimes I can go out and have 3 vodka and diet cokes and feel a bit on the happy side...other times i can have 7-8 and then feel a bit on the happy side :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I can drink a 70cl bottle, past that point things get very messy very quickly. Half a bottle gives me a good buzz I find. I'm a larger guy though.. So much stuff it depends on.

Oh, and Absolut is the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni!)
    i am abit tipsy but i think i drink more than this when im clubbin. but ive heard of ppl dieing from drinking like half a bottle, i know they dont mix it and i am mixin it but still.......how much have u drank
    the only time ive heard of someone dying from drinking vodka was in a russian drinking contest - the winner drank 4 litres but died so 1st went to the guy who drank 3.5 litres.

vodkas a spirit, thats it. it does have some bad effects but generally can be seen as the same as whisky, gin etc. (problems being vodka slows your heart rate, hens people recomend not mixing it with red bull)

more to the point, any limit anyone can possibly give you is bs, theres so many factors that come into it its just impossible. people can do a yard of ale and not have a blood alcohol level lower than someone having a shot depending on how they drink it.

the government site is useful for one thing - take its limits for maximum drinking as your minimum, their site is awful and very biased against alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    vodkas a spirit, thats it. it does have some bad effects but generally can be seen as the same as whisky, gin etc. (problems being vodka slows your heart rate, hens people recomend not mixing it with red bull)
    Surely there's nothing fundamentally unique about vodka that makes this a bad idea? I was under the impression that any alcohol+caffeine combo was potentially dangerous because of the 'opposite' effects (not that this has really stopped me ). It's just that vodka+RB is very common. Surely alcohol is in general a depressant, and any energy drink is by definition a stimulant... hence trouble in large quantities or susceptible people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurningSnowman)
    Surely there's nothing fundamentally unique about vodka that makes this a bad idea? I was under the impression that any alcohol+caffeine combo was potentially dangerous because of the 'opposite' effects (not that this has really stopped me ). It's just that vodka+RB is very common. Surely alcohol is in general a depressant, and any energy drink is by definition a stimulant... hence trouble in large quantities or susceptible people.
    Surely if they have opposite effects then they will cancel each other out, leaving no problem from either? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the person.

You should drink until you pass out.

In my case, 1-1.5 litres hits the spot.

ReputationRep:
    interestingly enough thats wrong, most alcohols increase your heart rate. thats why after a night out drinking people can find it hard to fall asleep for a while even though it may be very early in the morning, because the alcohol has increased their heart rate and its taking a while to calm down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Surely if they have opposite effects then they will cancel each other out, leaving no problem from either? :p:
    You would think.
    (Original post by alex p)
    interestingly enough thats wrong, most alcohols increase your heart rate. thats why after a night out drinking people can find it hard to fall asleep for a while even though it may be very early in the morning, because the alcohol has increased their heart rate and its taking a while to calm down
    So why's vodka different? You've got me so intrigued I might have to conduct empirical research tonight.

ReputationRep:
    You would think.

So why's vodka different? You've got me so intrigued I might have to conduct empirical research tonight.

it could just be due to mis translations between stuff, ive tried to look it up myself. everywhere says alcohol raises your heart rate, but vodka is bad mixed with red bull as its a depressent. in my mind that means it slows your heart rate, "being depressed" and "being hyped" doesnt seem as though it would harm your body, though playing with your heart rate would i imagine :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bananas 16)
    My uncle brought back a bottle of 85% vodka this week from russia!!
    It's rubbing alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    As people have already said...space your drinks because if you don't, vodka has a habit of hitting you like a train and you're on the floor before you know it.

As to how much.... I tend to drink 300ml's ish for pre-lashin then however many more doubles I can handle when I'm out. Christ that sounds bad, alcohol tolerance has gone through the roof since starting uni :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    It's rubbing alcohol.
    doubt its even that strong - probably 85% proof so 42.5 with normal measures

ReputationRep:
    3/4'S to a full Half Bottle of 37.5% Vodka normally, but that gets me smashed.

You have to pace yourself though, if you've never really drunk before I'd say 3 to 5 shots should be your absolute most! Just be careful, Don't drink on an empty stomach, I've made that mistake and the consequences are really s***!

x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.