should I wait ?

Watch this thread
peteryoungy
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have applied for jobs.

I have been given an offer to work at M&S at 9.5 an hour.

I have applied to 3 sainsburys. I won't be getting any updates on 2 of them for the next 2 weeks. If I have been shortlisted for an interview. The other one I am not sure.

I want to work at sainsburys as I like the company and the money. But if I get rejected from sainsburys and reject mM&S then I am unemployed.

Should I wait for M&S or sainsburys ?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
How long do you think M&S will hold the offer for you? In most of the job market you can tell them you're waiting on decisions from other companies before you commit, and you can tell the companies you're waiting from decisions from that you're waiting to hurry them up.

I don't think you can do that with shopwork? Ask, honestly. Ask whoever is hiring you at M&S when they need a decision, and say it is because you're waiting for a decision from another company. If their window is smaller than you'd need, you have to work out whether you're going to gamble or not. What I'd say is sainsbury's will always be there, and if you're really intent on working for them you can always apply after like a year of working for m&s
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by vicvic38)
How long do you think M&S will hold the offer for you? In most of the job market you can tell them you're waiting on decisions from other companies before you commit, and you can tell the companies you're waiting from decisions from that you're waiting to hurry them up.

I don't think you can do that with shopwork? Ask, honestly. Ask whoever is hiring you at M&S when they need a decision, and say it is because you're waiting for a decision from another company. If their window is smaller than you'd need, you have to work out whether you're going to gamble or not. What I'd say is sainsbury's will always be there, and if you're really intent on working for them you can always apply after like a year of working for m&s
I wish it was an email offer.

Called the shop and they said come in. They had an interview which I wasn't told. Wasn't a formal interview a some what casual one.

I am thinking of working for M&S for about 6 months then moving to sainsburys as I am not sure if I will secure the jobs that I have applied for.
adrewp
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
M&S isn't so bad to work for.
The temps get paid the same as us permanents now. That being said £9.50 an hour sounds too low, all hourly paid colleagues across the UK should be paid at least £10/hr now..

The company recently decided to implement a policy of employing less/no temps outside of Christmas so perhaps count yourself lucky that you were given an offer in the first place!

Is the M&S place in GM or in Foods?
Last edited by adrewp; 1 month ago
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by adrewp)
M&S isn't so bad to work for.
The temps get paid the same as us permanents now. That being said £9.50 an hour sounds too low, all hourly paid colleagues across the UK should be paid at least £10/hr now..

The company recently decided to implement a policy of employing less/no temps outside of Christmas so perhaps count yourself lucky that you were given an offer in the first place!

Is the M&S place in GM or in Foods?
I am now thinking of working at M&S even though I want to work at sainsburys as there's no guarantee that I will get into sasinsburys.

Also is there any way that I can increase my salary whilst still being a full time sixth form student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (18)
28.57%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
49.21%
First aid skills (3)
4.76%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.59%
Sign language (8)
12.7%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.59%

Watched Threads