AQA a level economics paper 1

Watch this thread
MaxB63
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What did everyone say for context 1 25 marker?
MaxB63
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I seriously regret doing context 1
KH29
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MaxB63)
What did everyone say for context 1 25 marker?
i did context 2, had a lot of application in my mind for it and yh
nadiashokka
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MaxB63)
I seriously regret doing context 1
lol same
user395729
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
what did you say for context 2 25 mark

(Original post by KH29)
i did context 2, had a lot of application in my mind for it and yh
KH29
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by user395729)
what did you say for context 2 25 mark
Well the question was about whether supermarkets sector protects consumer interest, something along the lines like that - so I spoke about discount v conventional , mergers, scandals ,etc.
tom0110
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
what was people answer for context 2 maths question?
Rr4him
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
question: smth to do with gov intervention and how it can be in favour of workers in gigs doing zero hr contracts.

I talked about how they can place a min price on wage and essentially place and increase a national minimum wage for gig workers. This helps to protect workers from exploitation but causes real wage unemployment as firm's costs increase. To counter this my second point was to subsidise these firms which would lower they're costs and incetivise them to employ more workers and hence economic activity increased.

I then went on a tangent and explained how these gigs were monopolies or non contestable workers eg uber, deliveroo and how they also exploit consumers. The counter point was that the super normal point would allow for dynamic efficiency and in the long run the price of the good will dereace. So does it even matter that consumers are being exploited in the short run.

My conclusion was basically comparing workers, consumers and the employers and how the government intervention policies can be used together to boost economic activity and protect the workers welfare.
c_hindle1204
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tom0110)
what was people answer for context 2 maths question?
i seem to think i got something around the 63% mark, can’t remember the exact number to 2 d.p though!
Mr Currywurst
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rr4him)
question: smth to do with gov intervention and how it can be in favour of workers in gigs doing zero hr contracts.

I talked about how they can place a min price on wage and essentially place and increase a national minimum wage for gig workers. This helps to protect workers from exploitation but causes real wage unemployment as firm's costs increase. To counter this my second point was to subsidise these firms which would lower they're costs and incetivise them to employ more workers and hence economic activity increased.

I then went on a tangent and explained how these gigs were monopolies or non contestable workers eg uber, deliveroo and how they also exploit consumers. The counter point was that the super normal point would allow for dynamic efficiency and in the long run the price of the good will dereace. So does it even matter that consumers are being exploited in the short run.

My conclusion was basically comparing workers, consumers and the employers and how the government intervention policies can be used together to boost economic activity and protect the workers welfare.
I talked about the food delivery market being near to perfect competition (lots of competing firms with firms entering and exiting market) and how increasing wages of gig economy workers / forcing firms to employ workers normally would drive firms out market and increase barriers to entry and exit, and thus that this would be bad as it would decrease consumer choice and in the long run decrease amount of employers in market.
borat32
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yh I said that, also talked about that a gig economy increases labour market flexibility by reducing the geographical immobilities when workers move between jobs but the presence of occupational immobilities such as a lack of transferable skills prevents workers in the gig economy from attaining a higher wage and a more secure job with non monetary benefits such as holidays etc therefore the government may need to provide or subsidise education and apprenticeship to ensure that MRP for workers increases so they can progress in their line of work and create incentives.
DesmondChen03
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I got it in the 30s
DesmondChen03
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by c_hindle1204)
i seem to think i got something around the 63% mark, can’t remember the exact number to 2 d.p though!
i got it in the 30s
c_hindle1204
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
most people ive spoken to got it around the 60s, you had to divide the lidl one by the Waitrose one and times it by 100, I seem to remember
(Original post by DesmondChen03)
i got it in the 30s
Rr4him
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr Currywurst)
I talked about the food delivery market being near to perfect competition (lots of competing firms with firms entering and exiting market) and how increasing wages of gig economy workers / forcing firms to employ workers normally would drive firms out market and increase barriers to entry and exit, and thus that this would be bad as it would decrease consumer choice and in the long run decrease amount of employers in market.
How is the food delivery market structure near perfect isnt it oligopoly/monopoly power eg uber, justeat delivero
Mr Currywurst
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rr4him)
How is the food delivery market structure near perfect isnt it oligopoly/monopoly power eg uber, justeat delivero
You can probably argue either way, but i argued that because it was nearest (albeit not exactly ) to perfect competition as their are many food delivery firms in the market, with homogeneous product and relatively low barriers to exit ( due to zero hour contracts), also as their is currently low brand loyalty and delivery firms have to accept market price. https://www.fastcasual.com/news/door...y-competition/
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Evil HomerMythical Pingu
stevjbxy
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
For section B option 1, the 25 marker asked if it was a good idea for the government to provide network services to everyone for free. My argument for this is that government would create a natural monopoly given the fixed costs are high and variable costs low. But I’m not sure if I’m correct, can someone please verify that this is a valid argument?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (6)
40%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
26.67%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
13.33%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (2)
13.33%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
6.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise