The Student Room Group

Economics A-Level today

Hey guys!

First of all, I hope your micro exam went great today!

Could you spare a moment and tell me what questions came up, please?

Many thanks!
Reply 1
Just took the AQA exam :]
Micro economics Paper 1 consisted of these topics:
Section A
Context 1: Trade Unions
Context 2: Oligopoly

Section B
Essay 1: Price mechanisms, and how the internet should be made available to everybody.
Essay 2: I believe was on government failure specifically welfare loss
Essay 3: Inequality, and pre-income and post-income methods of tackling inequality
Reply 2
Thanks but I should have specified. I do Edexcel A.
Original post by Jomxgs
Just took the AQA exam :]
Micro economics Paper 1 consisted of these topics:
Section A
Context 1: Trade Unions
Context 2: Oligopoly

Section B
Essay 1: Price mechanisms, and how the internet should be made available to everybody.
Essay 2: I believe was on government failure specifically welfare loss
Essay 3: Inequality, and pre-income and post-income methods of tackling inequality

i did aqa, how did it go?
Original post by meli77
Thanks but I should have specified. I do Edexcel A.

I did Edexcel Economics A test today

Section A was a mixture of PED calculations, disney+, negative externalities diagram, economies of scale. Just short qs basically
Section B was about costs revenue supernormal profit and contestability in the coffee branded market such as costa, cafe nero.
Section C was about monopolys if they are efficient. Industry of your choice
Reply 5
I did fine, I focused a lot on the labour market and inequalities so opted to do Context A and Essay 3. I'm just a bit stumped on the 2 marker on context A out of all things haha it asks for weekly as a proportion of monthly and I ended up with 81.35% which I have no clue was right or not rip. How about you?
Original post by vincentvangooo
i did aqa, how did it go?
Original post by Jomxgs
I did fine, I focused a lot on the labour market and inequalities so opted to do Context A and Essay 3. I'm just a bit stumped on the 2 marker on context A out of all things haha it asks for weekly as a proportion of monthly and I ended up with 81.35% which I have no clue was right or not rip. How about you?

i did the same questions as you, and same i overthought the 2 marker a lot lol everyone came out of the exam with different answers but oh well. i dont remember what i got but i didn't write % i just put 'workers' as the unit defo got that wrong lmao. revised externalities for nothing rip i didn't know how to write 15 marks worth on partial and complete market failure to do those essays haha
Original post by Justastudent7338

Section A was a mixture of PED calculations, disney+, negative externalities diagram, economies of scale. Just short qs basically
Section B was about costs revenue supernormal profit and contestability in the coffee branded market such as costa, cafe nero.

Section A, also included business growth, horizontal to be specific :smile:
Also section B, contained the nth firm concentration ratio as well as business objectives. There was also a q about PES in section B.

Forgot about these qs.
Reply 8

Ahh thank you so much!
section A - price elasticity of demand cross elasticity for sweetened drinks and bottled water. multiple choice on tacit collusion. negative externalities in production diagram of sewer discharge. two q’s on Disney , basically amount of subscribers increased and u had to draw a demand and supply diagram to illustrate that. Had to name one type of economies of scale and its effect. Most of it was calculations tbh. Had to rearrange a lot of elasticity of demand equations (XeD, PeD) to get the answer. Section B- first q was to draw a game theory model from oligopoly topic. next q was to list two factors using figure 2 and own knowledge about price elasticity to explain why international price of coffee beans went up. next q was about whether firms always profit maximise or not and whether there are other objectives, had to use extract. next q required the use of a cost and revenue diagram and the impact of “rising costs” on the diagram and for coffee shop owners as a whole. then there was a question on whether the coffee shop market is contestable based on the extracts given.Section C - whether monopolies are efficient or not, had to refer to at least one industry (they gave u Tesla as an example with 83% of market share or something). the other one was smth about the labour market but I didn’t do it so can’t remember exactly.
Reply 10
So have I, so far I've heard 0.89, 0.83, 0.81 workers, 0.81%, 0.81:1 and I haven't heard anyone else do 81.35(or .36 I forgot)% like myself ah rip. The problem is the question is so vagueee...

Original post by vincentvangooo
i did the same questions as you, and same i overthought the 2 marker a lot lol everyone came out of the exam with different answers but oh well. i dont remember what i got but i didn't write % i just put 'workers' as the unit defo got that wrong lmao. revised externalities for nothing rip i didn't know how to write 15 marks worth on partial and complete market failure to do those essays haha
Original post by flowersofmoon
section A - price elasticity of demand cross elasticity for sweetened drinks and bottled water. multiple choice on tacit collusion. negative externalities in production diagram of sewer discharge. two q’s on Disney , basically amount of subscribers increased and u had to draw a demand and supply diagram to illustrate that. Had to name one type of economies of scale and its effect. Most of it was calculations tbh. Had to rearrange a lot of elasticity of demand equations (XeD, PeD) to get the answer. Section B- first q was to draw a game theory model from oligopoly topic. next q was to list two factors using figure 2 and own knowledge about price elasticity to explain why international price of coffee beans went up. next q was about whether firms always profit maximise or not and whether there are other objectives, had to use extract. next q required the use of a cost and revenue diagram and the impact of “rising costs” on the diagram and for coffee shop owners as a whole. then there was a question on whether the coffee shop market is contestable based on the extracts given.Section C - whether monopolies are efficient or not, had to refer to at least one industry (they gave u Tesla as an example with 83% of market share or something). the other one was smth about the labour market but I didn’t do it so can’t remember exactly.

Game theory was in section A! But yh can’t believe you remembered most of the qs. How did the exam go for you? Did you find it fairly easy?
Game theory was in section A! But yh can’t believe you remembered most of the qs. How did the exam go for you? Did you find it fairly easy?

You’re right my bad! Tbh I didn’t revise as much as I should have but I was thankful that the questions were fairly accessible and didn’t require any niche knowledge, they were pretty open so it could’ve been a lot worse. How did you find it?
Original post by flowersofmoon
You’re right my bad! Tbh I didn’t revise as much as I should have but I was thankful that the questions were fairly accessible and didn’t require any niche knowledge, they were pretty open so it could’ve been a lot worse. How did you find it?

Honestly it wasn’t to bad and you could kind of talk about a lot of things which was great. I really didn’t revise as much on these topics tho because i really thought market failure and gov int was gonna be a hugee topic but overall it went well. Just two more papers to go!
Honestly it wasn’t to bad and you could kind of talk about a lot of things which was great. I really didn’t revise as much on these topics tho because i really thought market failure and gov int was gonna be a hugee topic but overall it went well. Just two more papers to go!

Same!! I was kind of surprised because govt intervention to prevent market failure AND in terms of market structures is so so huge for both cases I was certain that was what the 25 marker was abt. Also thought oligopoly and externalities were gonna play a bigger role but they were tiny questions! However externalities is in part 3 so can’t throw those notes to the side just yet 😭😭 good luck with ur two others!!!

Quick Reply

Latest