I got the grades for A-levels but took a BTEC

Watch this thread
Hazomeed
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I took a Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science because i achieved the GCSEs to study most A levels, but this excluded science. I chose to study science as i have a passion for it and its the only subject i enjoy and have interest in. I got diagnosed with ADHD as i was doing my GCSEs and got zero support and was told to take foundation maths because of this as it would "make my life easier" i ended up doing extremely well in it as it is stupidly easy and now could not study science because of it (i needed 6 but max you can get in foundation is 5). I was not told taking foundation maths would lead to this, in fact i was never even talked to about a levels because no one thought i would make it there. I was very depressed at the time, was in an abusive relationship, and had no intentions of even living so i just went along with it. A year later i'm medicated for ADHD and at a college and find it extremely easy now that i'm mentally healthy. Im getting distinctions in everything i do but i cant manage this overwhelming feeling of guilt and anger because i am surrounded by people who have no intention of going to university or even care about school, some students don't even come to class. Any tips on maybe how i can get support to go to university or how to deal with the amount of guilt i feel from not being able to study A-levels. I just want to get out of this crack shack of a college and into a good academic environment like university. Keep in mind i have been medically diagnosed with ADHD and depression and anxiety i'm not just self diagnosing, and i recognise that BTECs are not for the academic. I'm asking for tips on how i can feel like an academic again and get support to get into uni.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Forgive me for my ignorance, buy I always get completely lost when it comes to BTECs, because there are so many types.

As far as I can tell, "Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science" means "BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science". Is that right? That seems to be offered as both a Foundation Diploma and as an Extended Diploma. Which are you taking?

The reason I ask is that I've seen several undergraduate degrees recently where a BTEC Extended Diploma is a perfectly acceptable qualification for entry.

For example, see the list at https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...uirements.aspx. (Some of the science degrees listed on that page are happy with GCSE grade 5 in Maths, by the way.)
Hazomeed
Rep:
I take Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (QCF). I am planning to go to Surrey University to do Biochemistry, but am still open and looking for other options so i will definitely have a look at that link after i have finished my revision. BTECs are extremely confusing so no worries for not knowing, i did not go into specifics. I have been doing it for a year and still don't fully understand all the terminology myself. I was more asking if there are any sort of official support programmes to help people with mental health issues/learning difficulties get into university, i know some unis will accept applications with lower grades if a applicant has a "disorder". Not that i really need that so much but it would take some stress off. Do you know any good unis that i could apply for chemistry in?
And do you have any advice for dealing with major imposter syndrome? (kinda something im struggling with rn)
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hazomeed)
I took a Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science because i achieved the GCSEs to study most A levels, but this excluded science. I chose to study science as i have a passion for it and its the only subject i enjoy and have interest in. I got diagnosed with ADHD as i was doing my GCSEs and got zero support and was told to take foundation maths because of this as it would "make my life easier" i ended up doing extremely well in it as it is stupidly easy and now could not study science because of it (i needed 6 but max you can get in foundation is 5). I was not told taking foundation maths would lead to this, in fact i was never even talked to about a levels because no one thought i would make it there. I was very depressed at the time, was in an abusive relationship, and had no intentions of even living so i just went along with it. A year later i'm medicated for ADHD and at a college and find it extremely easy now that i'm mentally healthy. Im getting distinctions in everything i do but i cant manage this overwhelming feeling of guilt and anger because i am surrounded by people who have no intention of going to university or even care about school, some students don't even come to class. Any tips on maybe how i can get support to go to university or how to deal with the amount of guilt i feel from not being able to study A-levels. I just want to get out of this crack shack of a college and into a good academic environment like university. Keep in mind i have been medically diagnosed with ADHD and depression and anxiety i'm not just self diagnosing, and i recognise that BTECs are not for the academic. I'm asking for tips on how i can feel like an academic again and get support to get into uni.
Most universities accept BTECs it isnt a problem, However some require an additional A level such as Chemistry.

Dependent on the subject being taken at university you might need a 6 in GCSE so would need to retake it as a higher paper.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
1) I take Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (QCF).
2) I know some unis will accept applications with lower grades if a applicant has a "disorder".
1) Accepted by many Unis but check carefully on each course page - ie, Bath - Pharmacy will accept this BTEC but only with Chem A level, but for Chemistry the BTEC is acceptable on its own with specific units. You will just have to check the entry requirements for each Uni on their website - there are no shortcuts for this.

2) You won't get a lower offer just for extenuating circumstances or a disability. ECs may get you extra consideration in August if you miss your grades - but only if your school can show its impacted your studies. You will get the standard grade offer unless you qualify for a lower grade contextual offer already because of low-performing school etc.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Most universities accept BTECs it isnt a problem, However some require an additional A level such as Chemistry.

Dependent on the subject being taken at university you might need a 6 in GCSE so would need to retake it as a higher paper.
Here is an example for Applied Medical Sciences at Swansea
BTEC: Typically D*D*D. A strong Biology or Chemistry profile is essential plus a good profile in one other STEM subject*
Biology at Cardiff
DDD-DDM in a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science, Forensic Science, or Animal Management with Distinction in all of the Core/Mandatory Units
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I take Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (QCF). I am planning to go to Surrey University to do Biochemistry, but am still open and looking for other options so i will definitely have a look at that link after i have finished my revision. BTECs are extremely confusing so no worries for not knowing, i did not go into specifics. I have been doing it for a year and still don't fully understand all the terminology myself. I was more asking if there are any sort of official support programmes to help people with mental health issues/learning difficulties get into university, i know some unis will accept applications with lower grades if a applicant has a "disorder". Not that i really need that so much but it would take some stress off. Do you know any good unis that i could apply for chemistry in?
And do you have any advice for dealing with major imposter syndrome? (kinda something im struggling with rn)
Hi there!

It's great to hear you are thinking of applying to Surrey. If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out

Joao
Economics
Hazomeed
Rep:
Are there any statistics available for the amount of students that get accepted into Surrey Uni who have taken a BTEC?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are there any statistics available for the amount of students that get accepted into Surrey Uni who have taken a BTEC?
Hi there,

I would suggest speaking to our admissions team as they may be able to advise you on the entry requirements and allow you to ask them some questions! You can call them on the number below:

Tel: +44 (0)1483 682222
Monday to Friday between 10am - 12noon and 2pm - 4pm.

Please let me know if you have any questions, as I am here to help

Joao
Economics
Last edited by University of Surrey Student Rep; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.14%
As I expected (71)
30.74%
Harder (87)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.46%

Watched Threads