blankasap
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
find the constant term in (2x - 1/x^2) ^12
I used the coeffient rule to get the xs =x^0
(x)^12-r (x)^-2r= x^0

I got r=4
this is wrong pls helppp
JAH36
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.doubtnut.com/question-an...-is--642904431
This may be helpful?
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by blankasap)
find the constant term in (2x - 1/x^2) ^12
I used the coeffient rule to get the xs =x^0
(x)^12-r (x)^-2r= x^0

I got r=4
this is wrong pls helppp
r= 4 is correct for the power of 1/x^2 because that gives you a 1/x^8 which cancels with the x^8 (and 4 + 8 = 12). But you need the actual number that appears in the expansion which will be some power of 2 multiplied by some power of -1 multiplied by a binomial coefficient which you need to look up or work out
blankasap
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by davros)
r= 4 is correct for the power of 1/x^2 because that gives you a 1/x^8 which cancels with the x^8 (and 4 + 8 = 12). But you need the actual number that appears in the expansion which will be some power of 2 multiplied by some power of -1 multiplied by a binomial coefficient which you need to look up or work out
i'm sorry but i still don't get it :/
davros
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
i'm sorry but i still don't get it :/
You need to post your working so that someone can check it

Write down what the binomial formula is for expanding (a + b)^n. where n is an integer.

What is 'a' in this case?
What is 'b' in this case?
What is 'n' in this case?

Which (r th) term do you need to find, what are the powers and coefficients involved?
blankasap
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
You need to post your working so that someone can check it

Write down what the binomial formula is for expanding (a + b)^n. where n is an integer.

What is 'a' in this case?
What is 'b' in this case?
What is 'n' in this case?

Which (r th) term do you need to find, what are the powers and coefficients involved?
The n is 12, the a is 2x and the b is -x^-2,
using the binomial expansion to = x^0
{2} (2)^12-r (x)^12-r (-1)^r (x^-2)^r
{ r}
Last edited by blankasap; 3 weeks ago
davros
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
The n is 12, the a is 2x and the b is -x^-2,
using the binomial expansion to = x^0
{2} (2)^12-r (x)^12-r (-1)^r (x^-2)^r
{ r}
OK, so you want the constant term i.e. with the power of x = 0. What equation can you form that involves 'r' that makes the power of x equal to 0? What are all the numerical parts multiplied together - i,e, binomial coefficient, power of 2, power of -1 etc?
blankasap
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
OK, so you want the constant term i.e. with the power of x = 0. What equation can you form that involves 'r' that makes the power of x equal to 0? What are all the numerical parts multiplied together - i,e, binomial coefficient, power of 2, power of -1 etc?
oh i get it now, thank you
davros
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
oh i get it now, thank you
well done!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
40.91%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (6)
27.27%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
9.09%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
4.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
4.55%

Watched Threads