The Student Room Group

Should I start learning A-Level curriculum during the summer?

For my A-Levels I am doing:
- Physics
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Computer Science (but for that I will pay for myself since my school wont provide it )

The question I have is should I learn the whole cirriculum of all the subjects in the summer? Not overwhelming myself, just learning a few hours here and there. And would that be helpful to me ? Thank you!
You can't learn the whole curriculum for all four subjects in the summer holidays. If it were that easy, it wouldn't take 2 years of multiple hours a week for 3. However, if you'd like to get started and go slightly ahead (maybe a chapter or two), then I don't see a problem with it.
Reply 2
Original post by SagaciousSag
You can't learn the whole curriculum for all four subjects in the summer holidays. If it were that easy, it wouldn't take 2 years of multiple hours a week for 3. However, if you'd like to get started and go slightly ahead (maybe a chapter or two), then I don't see a problem with it.

I just assumed it would be, since I re-learnt the whole GCSE cirriculum in 2 weeks actually.
Original post by nrevenco
I just assumed it would be, since I re-learnt the whole GCSE cirriculum in 2 weeks actually.

'Relearning' something you've revised in depth is not the same as starting afresh with a much larger amount of harder content. Compare the size of an A-Level Physics textbook to a GCSE one. However, as I said, nothing wrong with getting started.
Relearnt being the key word - not learn from scratch
And there is significantly more content in A levels than GCSEs, and the content is (obviously) harder
Also, enjoy your summer. Meet up with friends, go to a festival, go on holiday, whatever. Don't sit alone in your room learning maths like a saddo

A-levels are much more in depth than GCSE's (especially physics) so try not to compare them too much. It depends how you learn, if you look through the content and think can teach it to yourself then that is impressive, but many people need a teacher to explain. I'd suggest you review all of the GCSE content and know that inside out and do any prep work your school sets. Maths and Further Maths are quite simple for the first two terms so you might be able to handle that but Physics is a whole separate ball park... Plus I agree with the other commenters, year 12 and 13 are hectic for A-levels, try spend this summer relaxing and having fun.
(edited 1 year ago)
GCSE's::dancing:
A-Levels: :banghead:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
- Physics
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Computer Science (but for that I will pay for myself since my school wont provide it )

The question I have is should I learn the whole cirriculum of all the subjects in the summer? Not overwhelming myself, just learning a few hours here and there. And would that be helpful to me ? Thank you!

I think watching youtube videos would help you just to get to know the subject! 😊
Reply 8
Original post by elpe
GCSE's::dancing:
A-Levels: :banghead:

hahaha!!
so truee!!🥲
If you want to, maybe read some books written about the subjects. It's not necessary to learn stuff beforehand, and you may end up confusing yourself. Lots of the topics are quite confusing, and need the explanation of a teacher before it starts to make sense. Enjoy your summer, and don't stress yourself by trying to learn things you haven't been taught.
- Physics
- Maths
- Further Maths

I'm currently in Y11 and doing Physics, Maths, Computer Science, and Chemistry (though planning to drop it, just a backup) for A-Levels.
I'm personally planning to do Seneca sections on my subjects over the summer to get ahead and make Seneca a more useful resource for when I need to revise (I have Seneca premium so can do smart learning and stuff like that). I want to carry on any work ethic or good study habits I've gained from GCSEs and not just dull my brain over the summer if that makes sense. Also, Seneca has the exact course and is a very guided way of revision, with a lot of the courses seeming almost too geared towards learning the content, so I think it might be good at explaining stuff.
Tbh I'm quite excited to learn my subjects and would start now if I didn't have to spend all my time on GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest