The Student Room Group

HELP! Which Teaching assistant course?

I am a mum of 2 little ones (one at school one is almost 2) - I am looking at changing my career, I’m a personal trainer but currently just a ‘mum’ - and I would like to study to become a teaching assistant over the next year, so when my daughter turns 3 next September, I can start working again. I have been lucky that my sons school will take me on to volunteer 3 hours a week. But which course do I take?!
Level 2 certificate, level 3 awards? There are so many to choose from I’m not sure what I’m looking for anymore! Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction?! Thank you!!
Original post by Sarahcee87
I am a mum of 2 little ones (one at school one is almost 2) - I am looking at changing my career, I’m a personal trainer but currently just a ‘mum’ - and I would like to study to become a teaching assistant over the next year, so when my daughter turns 3 next September, I can start working again. I have been lucky that my sons school will take me on to volunteer 3 hours a week. But which course do I take?!
Level 2 certificate, level 3 awards? There are so many to choose from I’m not sure what I’m looking for anymore! Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction?! Thank you!!

What qualifications have you got at the moment?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What qualifications have you got at the moment?

10 a-c GCSEs and 3 A levels / thanks for replying! I am also a fully qualified personal trainer (not that that’s relevant 😅
Original post by Sarahcee87
10 a-c GCSEs and 3 A levels / thanks for replying! I am also a fully qualified personal trainer (not that that’s relevant 😅

Most schools will take you with what you've got already. The volunteering will give you experience and go from there :smile:

Level 2 courses are GCSE equivalent and level 3 is A level ... so you've already got qualifications.
Reply 4
Thanks for that! Ok, so if I was to do a course (for my own benefit to gain more knowledge and to potentially better myself than other candidates) - would a level 2 certificate be better than a 3 award? I’ve seen lots of different courses at very different prices. I’m just unsure if I need to fork out a huge amount of money when I could do something equally as knowledgable (but still a recognisable qualification) for less money if you know what I mean? Thanks very much for your input so far!!
Reply 5
For example-
Level 3 certificate courses are £700+ yet, level 3 award courses are £270/300

Quick Reply

Latest