is a software engineering degree apprenticeship actually worth it

Watch this thread
_OSHii
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
From whatever resources are online, they all seem to paint the picture that this specific role is all sunshine and rainbows, with a lot of people and institutes saying something along the lines of it being better than doing a cs degree at uni, it's high employment rate and demand. However there's a lack of actual accounts from people that have completed the apprenticeship or are doing it, which makes me question it's usefulness. I honestly have no clue if they get hired or not, how much advantage they have over fresh graduates etc. I don't want to persue something like that if I feel that it won't help me when joining the workforce and set me back so many years.
ringi
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
To get a good computer programmer job you need lots of experience computer programming and to be able to prove you have the experience. Given a choose between qualifications and experience nearly all employers will choose experience.

Getting experience while doing a normal Computing Degree depends on pot lack unless you know the correct people.

-----
If the aim is to go into computer science research it is different.
Last edited by ringi; 4 weeks ago
_OSHii
Rep:
(Original post by ringi)
To get a good computer programmer job you need lots of experience computer programming and to be able to prove you have the experience. Given a choose between qualifications and experience nearly all employers will choose experience.

Getting experience while doing a normal Computing Degree depends on pot lack unless you know the correct people.

-----
If the aim is to go into computer science research it is different.
I understand that and i’m planning to start learning once my as levels are done but i’m really confused which direction to take in order to attain helpful experience. With the degree apprenticeships, you learn from the ground up, which is useful for someone like me as I have no past experience. The government seems to push the degree apprenticeships a lot and in my opinion, it’s hard to find realistic accounts of people taking them. They all seem to be scripted just for the marketing
ringi
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Most companies offering degree apprenticeships have only been running them for a short time and started with very small numbers.
_OSHii
Rep:
(Original post by ringi)
Most companies offering degree apprenticeships have only been running them for a short time and started with very small numbers.
i saw a few threads here about degree apprentiships from 6 years ago. even if they haven't been aroud for long, there must be at least a few people that have completed one.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _OSHii)
i saw a few threads here about degree apprentiships from 6 years ago. even if they haven't been aroud for long, there must be at least a few people that have completed one.
Is getting your degree tuition paid for, experience in a real employer and getting paid a wage worth it?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _OSHii)
From whatever resources are online, they all seem to paint the picture that this specific role is all sunshine and rainbows, with a lot of people and institutes saying something along the lines of it being better than doing a cs degree at uni, it's high employment rate and demand. However there's a lack of actual accounts from people that have completed the apprenticeship or are doing it, which makes me question it's usefulness. I honestly have no clue if they get hired or not, how much advantage they have over fresh graduates etc. I don't want to persue something like that if I feel that it won't help me when joining the workforce and set me back so many years.
Yes. Experience trumps having a degree alone.

Think about what it is you are getting here - a paid for degree meaning the govt isn't going to take 9% of your income from you for 30-years of your life AND 4-years of work experience on your CV as a software engineer.

You could go down the typical CS degree route and make sure you get summer internships or a placement year, but there is no guarantee you will be successful at interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (7)
35%
As I expected (3)
15%
Harder (9)
45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
5%

Watched Threads