Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiya,

Basically my parents are in alot of financial trouble and are on the verge of loosing our house. I have absolutely no money, as they don't have any at all to give me, and have just found a part time job but my contract doesn't start untill the middle of December . Im finding my first year of sixth form very hard, and then theres the money worrys ontop of that, and am just thinking about dropping out now and working full time but I know that I will probably regret it later on and it will be harder without A levels, but it just seems like the better option at the moment.

Has anyone else ever been in the situation of dropping out of college/sixthform due to money??

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya,

Basically my parents are in alot of financial trouble and are on the verge of loosing our house. I have absolutely no money, as they don't have any at all to give me, and have just found a part time job but my contract doesn't start untill the middle of December . Im finding my first year of sixth form very hard, and then theres the money worrys ontop of that, and am just thinking about dropping out now and working full time but I know that I will probably regret it later on and it will be harder without A levels, but it just seems like the better option at the moment.

Has anyone else ever been in the situation of dropping out of college/sixthform due to money??

xxxxx
    Do you not get EMA? If not then try talking to someone at your school- head of 6th form maybe? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

ReputationRep:
    As you said - you'll regret it in the long run. Yeah try EMA, things will get better when your job starts

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do the same thing last year.

DON'T.

If you can stick it out til your contract starts, you'll be fine, trust me. You can go to your college and possibly ask for a crisis loan, which should help tide you over.

If you need help, PM me

ReputationRep:
    I have no real advice other than to say don't drop out of sixth form. It's alot harder to get back into education once you've dropped out, so chances are you'd end up never returning to sixth form, and you'd regret dropping out for the rest of your life.

I hope your financial situation gets better soon. Like others have said, look into getting EMA if you don't already get it.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends dropped out last march.. when we were in year 12....
    She has just turned to sixth form but is now re-doing her AS with the year below..
    She regretted dropping out..

This may sound really silly.. but if u are looking for a job now.. Try the royal mail..! they always imploy loads of people to work in the sorting office this time of year..!

Good Luck.. Hope things get better for u

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sad to hear that things aren't good. It's a horrible financial time at the moment.

Do you get EMA? £30 a week is a little but sure to help. Also Xmas is coming up, I would recc ask people for money rather than presents (may seem a bit brash but if they know the situation then they'll hopefully understand.) Also tell the parents not to buy you much. The good thing about Xmas is the amount of jobs available. You could aim for somewhere like a shop or whatever and then they'll pay you like £6 an hour, perhaps more if you work sundays.

Please don't drop out of sixth form, it really won't be good in the long run.

*Hugs* and good luck to you x

ReputationRep:
    Short term pain for long term gain. If you drop out now then you will regret it, and you'll end up in some sh!te job getting paid £3.40 an hour doing donkey work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Short term pain for long term gain. If you drop out now then you will regret it, and you'll end up in some sh!te job getting paid £3.40 an hour doing donkey work.
    Agreed. It might be hard right now, but chances are you will end up doing something you dont want to do for a crap wage - I'm living proof of that haha I dropped out of college, for different reasons, but yeah I do regret it, I was on the wrong courses for me, didnt know what I wanted to do...so now I'm working in retail - which is rubbish!! But I'm going back to college in '09 and can't wait!! So yeah, if I were you, I'd definitely stay in college xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.