exams

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I have anxiety and have been to the gp about it and they basically said yeah you have moderate anxiety, this is what you can do etc. I asked about medication but nothing followed after that because my parents didn't want to take it any further.
So the thing is, I have a level exams and in mocks, I sometimes freak out in the exam badly which completely throws me off and makes me get like 2 grades lower than I normally would. I don't know why this happens and I've tried breathing exercises, meditating, everything but nothing helps cause in the moment, the exam just feels like the end all and I have a thousand thoughts running through my head.
I can deal with this in maths and chemistry because they don't require as much reading and processing information but in biology, the whole paper is reading and understanding everything. It requires my full focus and when I freak out, I literally understand nothing. I'm reading the question and absolutely nothing is going in because I have all these thoughts in my head about the exam.
And so since this is the real exam, my anxiety will probably be the worst its been. So basically, I don't know whether its worth talking to my school about maybe rest breaks or something to help me refocus or if I should just man up and do the exam and pray that I won't freak out. It's quite late aswell since exams have already started so I don't know if its worth the hassle.
Also if anyone has any other tips to manage this and refocus during the exam, please share because my grades depend on it. I've revised a lot and I really don't want to mess it up in the exam because my brain wont shut up and focus.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I have anxiety and have been to the gp about it and they basically said yeah you have moderate anxiety, this is what you can do etc. I asked about medication but nothing followed after that because my parents didn't want to take it any further.
So the thing is, I have a level exams and in mocks, I sometimes freak out in the exam badly which completely throws me off and makes me get like 2 grades lower than I normally would. I don't know why this happens and I've tried breathing exercises, meditating, everything but nothing helps cause in the moment, the exam just feels like the end all and I have a thousand thoughts running through my head.
I can deal with this in maths and chemistry because they don't require as much reading and processing information but in biology, the whole paper is reading and understanding everything. It requires my full focus and when I freak out, I literally understand nothing. I'm reading the question and absolutely nothing is going in because I have all these thoughts in my head about the exam.
And so since this is the real exam, my anxiety will probably be the worst its been. So basically, I don't know whether its worth talking to my school about maybe rest breaks or something to help me refocus or if I should just man up and do the exam and pray that I won't freak out. It's quite late aswell since exams have already started so I don't know if its worth the hassle.
Also if anyone has any other tips to manage this and refocus during the exam, please share because my grades depend on it. I've revised a lot and I really don't want to mess it up in the exam because my brain wont shut up and focus.
Definitely! I know someone who got rest breaks and extra time because of anxiety, it is worth the hassle. If you already have seen a doctor it should be simple enough, you might just need a doctors note to confirm.
Rai258
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
i'm word for word exactly the same as you, ask your exams officer to let you do it in a separate room, beg her if you have to
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I have rest breaks, extra time, and separate room for anxiety and these all help me LOADS. I am in a small room of 5 of us and we're all friends and it makes it a more relaxed environment to do exams in.
I didn't realise how much I needed extra time until I got it. I used to rush and finish about 15mins before people without extra time had finished, but now I have extra time I find myself reading the questions properly and having time to check over for stupid mistakes, as I know I have more time for thought processes.
I haven't used rest breaks yet, but just knowing they're there helps SO MUCH. Knowing that if I get too anxious I can leave until I've calmed down relaxes me so I don't have to worry about wasting too much time if I have a panic attack or something.

So I'd say EAAs (exam access arrangements) are so helpful and if anxiety affects your exams to you dropping grades it might be something you consider

Also, fidget toys help me so much
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I have rest breaks, extra time, and separate room for anxiety and these all help me LOADS. I am in a small room of 5 of us and we're all friends and it makes it a more relaxed environment to do exams in.
I didn't realise how much I needed extra time until I got it. I used to rush and finish about 15mins before people without extra time had finished, but now I have extra time I find myself reading the questions properly and having time to check over for stupid mistakes, as I know I have more time for thought processes.
I haven't used rest breaks yet, but just knowing they're there helps SO MUCH. Knowing that if I get too anxious I can leave until I've calmed down relaxes me so I don't have to worry about wasting too much time if I have a panic attack or something.

So I'd say EAAs (exam access arrangements) are so helpful and if anxiety affects your exams to you dropping grades it might be something you consider

Also, fidget toys help me so much
Hi, thanks for your reply and to everyone else. I think these will be beneficial for me too.
Could you please tell me how you went about getting the arrangements? I'm not sure who to go to or what to say or if it's too late since exams have already started?
cata03
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, thanks for your reply and to everyone else. I think these will be beneficial for me too.
Could you please tell me how you went about getting the arrangements? I'm not sure who to go to or what to say or if it's too late since exams have already started?
unfourtunately i think you won't be able to get rest breaks as the deadline for special exam arrangments was in feb/march. But it might be worth asking about an extra room - this isn't an EAA in the same way as rest breaks and the school doesn't (I don't think) have to get permission from the exam board, although they will probably want a doctor's note. Good luck in your exams - I'm in the exact same position as you - we'll make it through!!!
Last edited by cata03; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
My SEN teacher was able to get these confirmed without having a formal assessment. There are EAA assessments available - I'm pretty sure you ask one of your pastoral support team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads