Physics question a level help pleaseeee

Watch this thread
Htx_x346
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Sorry for the number of questions but i have my exam soon so thats why xName:  59EDBF76-7E0B-4BA5-A963-BD36EC3C0BBD.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  65.7 KB
For part ii I dont really understand why the centripetal force affects the friction because the forces are perpendicular to each other?

Name:  4BA95B9A-7192-4D10-9ABC-E329B87E4CB6.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  76.7 KB
I also don’t understand why they havent included the normal reaction force of the wall on the person for this question?
Last edited by Htx_x346; 4 weeks ago
Htx_x346
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  9F301691-27B4-4584-A6DC-DF407FBA37DB.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  139.0 KB
And lastly i dont really understand how the answer is the fourth option? Surely the coin feels the centripetal force?
tarmac-the-cat
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The coin had been 'dropped'. It will not follow the circular path now. There is nothing accelerating it to the centre of the circle.
tarmac-the-cat
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Friction between surfaces is larger if the surfaces are pushed together. Try it by rubbing your hands together. When the ride slows down there is less centripetal force, hence less friction.
DylanW21
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
For part ii.The frictional force between the person and wall is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal reaction force (F= μR). As R decreases F decreases proportionally (as coefficient of friction is constant).
tarmac-the-cat
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
It does say 'normal reaction' in the mark scheme
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by tarmac-the-cat)
The coin had been 'dropped'. It will not follow the circular path now. There is nothing accelerating it to the centre of the circle.

I dont understand why it doesnt feel the centripetal force

Friction between surfaces is larger if the surfaces are pushed together. Try it by rubbing your hands together. When the ride slows down there is less centripetal force, hence less friction.
Oh okay

(Original post by DylanW21)
For part ii.The frictional force between the person and wall is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal reaction force (F= μR). As R decreases F decreases proportionally (as coefficient of friction is constant).
Ohhh okay thanks

It does say 'normal reaction' in the mark scheme
Thank you, i didnt notice that
Ethanity007
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
As the coin is dropped, there is no longer a Normal force (previously provided by man that is in contact with it) acting on it to provide the centripetal force it requires to stay in circular motion.
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by Ethanity007)
As the coin is dropped, there is no longer a Normal force (previously provided by man that is in contact with it) acting on it to provide the centripetal force it requires to stay in circular motion.
Thank youu!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads