How do I decide which uni to go to?

Watch this thread
avaliu
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im at a 50/50 split on which uni to pick, and the ucas deadline is soon so i need help choosing. (they are both art based courses). I like them both, but I can't pick between the two. Any help or advice will be great. Thanks!

Uni 1- London

UAL pros
- Travel to and from home would be easier, easy travel in general
- Better job prospects
- Really great facilities for art
- London has a great creative scene
- Teachers and lecturers have worked in industry
- Worldwide known uni, #2 in world, people have told me id be crazy to reject them
- Lower grade req
- Higher student satisfaction

Cons
- London is expensive to live in, and is busy so it wouldn't be my favourite place to live in
- Course involves some 3D for the first year and second year, which im not interested in
- The course isn't terrible for me, but I definitely prefer uni #2's course.

Uni 2- H

H pros
- I love this course, suits me really well (no 3D!!)
- Teaching methods are well renouned.
- I have already made friends there
- Still well known for its art based courses (ofc not as much as UAL)
- Not as expensive or busy as London
- Has a course layout thats suited to me

Cons
- Higher grade req so I can't insurance it
- Harder to travel to and from home
- Facilities aren't that great (especially compared to Uni 1)
- Lower student satisfaction

I should probably just ins London and firm H, but I dont wanna regret it and be unable to change it later on. Thanks for any words of advice
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, doing the pros and cons list was a good idea. It's just a shame it ended in a tie!

From what you've written, it seems like Uni 1 is the "sensible" choice, but Uni 2 is where you really want to go. Agreed?

Life's too short for sensible choices. Firm Uni 2.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Go for H.

Have a look at moving out of home into halls for first year instead of commuting (you can always move back home if it doesn’t work out but it’s a worthwhile investment).
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by avaliu)
Im at a 50/50 split on which uni to pick, and the ucas deadline is soon so i need help choosing. (they are both art based courses). I like them both, but I can't pick between the two. Any help or advice will be great. Thanks!

Uni 1- London

UAL pros
- Travel to and from home would be easier, easy travel in general
- Better job prospects
- Really great facilities for art
- London has a great creative scene
- Teachers and lecturers have worked in industry
- Worldwide known uni, #2 in world, people have told me id be crazy to reject them
- Lower grade req
- Higher student satisfaction

Cons
- London is expensive to live in, and is busy so it wouldn't be my favourite place to live in
- Course involves some 3D for the first year and second year, which im not interested in
- The course isn't terrible for me, but I definitely prefer uni #2's course.

Uni 2- H

H pros
- I love this course, suits me really well (no 3D!!)
- Teaching methods are well renouned.
- I have already made friends there
- Still well known for its art based courses (ofc not as much as UAL)
- Not as expensive or busy as London
- Has a course layout thats suited to me

Cons
- Higher grade req so I can't insurance it
- Harder to travel to and from home
- Facilities aren't that great (especially compared to Uni 1)
- Lower student satisfaction

I should probably just ins London and firm H, but I dont wanna regret it and be unable to change it later on. Thanks for any words of advice
Hi there,
I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty making this decision. I actually had the same problem where I was very stuck between two unis that I knew would both likely be great but in slightly different ways, so I completely understand the feelings of confusion you may have being in this position.
I think making a pros and cons list was a great first step to really get your thoughts together about each uni and what it can offer you. Now, you need to have a look through and consider which aspects are the most important for you and your happiness whilst you are studying. From looking at what you have written, it seems that 'H' has a course which you can see yourself enjoying a lot more, and as a current student on an arts course, I would say this is probably one of the most key areas to take into consideration. It is a lot easier to work hard and come out with good results when you are able to study what you really enjoy, and so I would definitely make this a priority.
Also, although you are at uni to study, it is also about the social scene and enjoying the city that you are in, so if you don't feel like London is for you it may not be worth choosing to study there when you will be in an area you don't like for the three years. I also study 3-4 hours away from home so I understand your concerns about not being able to easily get back, but I have found that it is still doable when I need to, and a lot of the time I am too busy studying to travel home anyway.
At the end of the day, you also need to try not to let other opinions influence you, as even if one place is known to be more renowned, that doesn't necessarily mean it is meant for you and will be the best place for you to succeed. It is your decision to make, so just try to consider every factor that matters most to you and I am sure you will make the right choice!
Are you going to live in student halls?
Anna- Fashion Design Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads