Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you have successfully applied to Deloitte Iwas wondering the dates (roughly) that you:-

1) Submitted an application
    2) Sat the tests
    3) First interview
    4) Final Assessment
    5) Offer

I am specifically interested in Scholars, but I would also like to hear about graduates also.

I know applications for Scholars and other things open in July and I applied and sat tests in october. I have just recently got a first interview date next week and am a bit scared i'm too late to get a place?

ReputationRep:
    My scholars correspondence history:

12 July 2008 - Application submitted and acknowledged
    18 July 2008 - Invite to numerical test
    21 July 2008 - Invite to verbal reasoning test
    26 July 2008 - Online tests completion acknowledged
    29 July 2008 - Invite to first round
    15 August 2008 - First round interview date/time confirmed
    02 September 2008 - First round interview
    04 September 2008 - Invite to final assessment
    15 September 2008 - Final assessment date/time confirmed
    24 September 2008 - Final assessment
    25 September 2008 - Offer made

And sat the online tests usually the day after the invite. The delay in organising my first round interview I was due to a change in the Deloitte personnel (called her up to tell her what dates I would be available - she said she'd call me back but didn't hear from her again. Got a call from someone else a few weeks later to finally organise it and as far as I'm aware she doesn't work with the scholars scheme anymore).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogen)
    My scholars correspondence history:

12 July 2008 - Application submitted and acknowledged
    18 July 2008 - Invite to numerical test
    21 July 2008 - Invite to verbal reasoning test
    26 July 2008 - Online tests completion acknowledged
    29 July 2008 - Invite to first round
    15 August 2008 - First round interview date/time confirmed
    02 September 2008 - First round interview
    04 September 2008 - Invite to final assessment
    15 September 2008 - Final assessment date/time confirmed
    24 September 2008 - Final assessment
    25 September 2008 - Offer made

And sat the online tests usually the day after the invite. The delay in organising my first round interview I was due to a change in the Deloitte personnel (called her up to tell her what dates I would be available - she said she'd call me back but didn't hear from her again. Got a call from someone else a few weeks later to finally organise it and as far as I'm aware she doesn't work with the scholars scheme anymore).
    Congrats on the offer, what office did you apply for?

Also, Do you think I am too late?
    I was having the same problem with the interview. The person I got told to contact just never seemed to be available. And I didnt want to constantly call other people because I thought I would come across as pushy.
    Do you have any advice for the interview or final assessment day? I hear it is reallly difficult, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottish_student)
    Congrats on the offer, what office did you apply for?

Also, Do you think I am too late?
    I was having the same problem with the interview. The person I got told to contact just never seemed to be available. And I didnt want to constantly call other people because I thought I would come across as pushy.
    Do you have any advice for the interview or final assessment day? I hear it is reallly difficult, is this true?
    Cheers mate - applied for London. Depending upon which office you applied for though I don't think you're too late. An email I got recently would suggest there are still a lot of places available for regional offices.

For the first round interview my advice is: prepare your competencies and it will not be tough. There are no surprises with the first round. The interviewer will explain each competency to you and the qualities they are looking for and then ask you to give either 1 or 2 examples of where you demonstrated that competency (usually 2). I would advise you choose your competency examples well and prepare them thoroughly. Choose examples that show a lot of positive qualities as opposed to e.g. sports examples for teamwork where you're limited in what you can talk about. Things that they might look for are:

Teamwork: worked well/communicated well with others, perhaps had to compromise/did not agree with others and how you resolved it, whether it was successful, how you would do things differently.

Organising an event: how you went about organising tasks, whether you were working under pressure, what factors you had to take into consideration, how you might do things differently.

Problem solving/decision making: how you weighed up pros/cons and your thought process that led to you making a reasoned conclusion.

Commercial awareness: how does your news story affect deloitte, how does it affect different departments of Deloitted

Career aspirations: why professional services, why Deloitte.

Just things like that - try and squeeze everything you can into each comptency. E.g. if you talk about ACA acreditation towards the required work experience under career aspirations - it shows that you have done your research and are enthusiastic about it. The first round interview will follow a set format so if you have your competencies ready you should be fine.

My final tip though: sometimes the interviewer might ask you something that throws you e.g. on the Scholars website the competency is listed as "problem solving" but I was asked for "decision making" which is slightly different. Don't be afraid to ask the interviewer for a moment to collect your thoughts whilst you spend 30 seconds thinking of an example that better matches what they are looking for. It is better to pause and think of a good example than to just try and use an example that doesn't match their criteria or an example that you thought of in that instant that shows no good qualities.

Best of luck mate! If you've got any more questions then feel free to ask and let me know if you get invited to final assessment and I'll advise you on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogen)
    Cheers mate - applied for London. Depending upon which office you applied for though I don't think you're too late. An email I got recently would suggest there are still a lot of places available for regional offices.

For the first round interview my advice is: prepare your competencies and it will not be tough. There are no surprises with the first round. The interviewer will explain each competency to you and the qualities they are looking for and then ask you to give either 1 or 2 examples of where you demonstrated that competency (usually 2). I would advise you choose your competency examples well and prepare them thoroughly. Choose examples that show a lot of positive qualities as opposed to e.g. sports examples for teamwork where you're limited in what you can talk about. Things that they might look for are:

Teamwork: worked well/communicated well with others, perhaps had to compromise/did not agree with others and how you resolved it, whether it was successful, how you would do things differently.

Organising an event: how you went about organising tasks, whether you were working under pressure, what factors you had to take into consideration, how you might do things differently.

Problem solving/decision making: how you weighed up pros/cons and your thought process that led to you making a reasoned conclusion.

Commercial awareness: how does your news story affect deloitte, how does it affect different departments of Deloitted

Career aspirations: why professional services, why Deloitte.

Just things like that - try and squeeze everything you can into each comptency. E.g. if you talk about ACA acreditation towards the required work experience under career aspirations - it shows that you have done your research and are enthusiastic about it. The first round interview will follow a set format so if you have your competencies ready you should be fine.

My final tip though: sometimes the interviewer might ask you something that throws you e.g. on the Scholars website the competency is listed as "problem solving" but I was asked for "decision making" which is slightly different. Don't be afraid to ask the interviewer for a moment to collect your thoughts whilst you spend 30 seconds thinking of an example that better matches what they are looking for. It is better to pause and think of a good example than to just try and use an example that doesn't match their criteria or an example that you thought of in that instant that shows no good qualities.

Best of luck mate! If you've got any more questions then feel free to ask and let me know if you get invited to final assessment and I'll advise you on that.
    Thanks alot.
    What did the email say that suggested there were places left at alot of regional office? (If you dont mind me asking)

ReputationRep:
    I applied to them on Oct. 30th,
    and they e-mailed the date for my first interview.

11th December. So the process if very efficient.

How are you getting on with your application?

-Moogen; you're post was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Deloitte keep their recruitment in-house at local offices so that will affect how long it takes to sort things out compared to other offices.

ReputationRep:
    Kemik, did you apply for both Deloitte and KPMG gap year programmes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Step Out Of The Ordinary)
    Kemik, did you apply for both Deloitte and KPMG gap year programmes?
    I didn't apply to any gap year programmes. They're pretty pointless tbh. £12k a year in the North. You'd get pretty much double that if you just finish uni and do that year once you graduate. Do an internship duing the penultimate year's summer.

My flatmate works for Deloitte and I work for KPMG.

ReputationRep:
    yes, that's quite true.
    I just thought it may be a nice break/ head start?
    I was supposed to have an interview next week with Deloitte, but I'd just been told my interview has been cancelled because they've filled up their places. Pretty disappointing, but they've offered my other offices. I'm in a bit of a pickle now.

ReputationRep:
    Which office was it that was full and cancelled your app? Have you gone for an interview at another?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.