Address history query (Postgrad loan application)

Watch this thread
00Weche
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I'm a UK national applying for a postgraduate loan for the academic year 2022/23 and had a question about the address history section.

I visited my partner who is living in Australia during late 2020 and due to the fact that the Covid situation didn't pan out as we hoped and became more serious in 2021 in Australia & the UK, we got stuck in Aus and my temporary stay of around 6 months was initially extended by another 6 months, and then my return flight was pushed back again by a further 6 months. Throughout this time, I have retained a permanent address in England (since the intention of my trip was to visit and not to move permanently) and I am working in the same job with my UK-based employer that I had at the beginning of my visit. I have also remained a UK tax resident during this time.

In short, I have maintained all of my personal and financial ties to the UK and will be physically back in the country in a few weeks.

Would I need to include any of my addresses in Australia in my application? From what the SLC website says, I don't think that I need to seeing as they were temporary addresses but I just wanted to double check this since my case is quite complicated and I don't want to put the wrong information in the application.

Thanks !
Last edited by 00Weche; 4 weeks ago
SFE Erin N
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 00Weche)
Hi there,

I'm a UK national applying for a postgraduate loan for the academic year 2022/23 and had a question about the address history section.

I visited my partner who is living in Australia during late 2020 and due to the fact that the Covid situation didn't pan out as we hoped and became more serious in 2021 in Australia & the UK, we got stuck in Aus and my temporary stay of around 6 months was initially extended by another 6 months, and then my return flight was pushed back again by a further 6 months. Throughout this time, I have retained a permanent address in England (since the intention of my trip was to visit and not to move permanently) and I am working in the same job with my UK-based employer that I had at the beginning of my visit. I have also remained a UK tax resident during this time.

In short, I have maintained all of my personal and financial ties to the UK and will be physically back in the country in a few weeks.

Would I need to include any of my addresses in Australia in my application? From what the SLC website says, I don't think that I need to seeing as they were temporary addresses but I just wanted to double check this since my case is quite complicated and I don't want to put the wrong information in the application.

Thanks !
Hi There,

You’ll need to declare your addresses in Australia even if they were temporary. As long as you can provide evidence that you maintained an address in the UK during your period abroad then we’ll accept this as a period of temporary absence.

Thanks. Erin N
00Weche
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Erin N)
Hi There,

You’ll need to declare your addresses in Australia even if they were temporary. As long as you can provide evidence that you maintained an address in the UK during your period abroad then we’ll accept this as a period of temporary absence.

Thanks. Erin N
Thanks for the reply.

How would I do this on the online portal? When I input my permanent address on 1 September 2019 and confirm that my permanent address will be the same on 1 September 2022 it gives me no option to make declarations of temporary residence.
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 00Weche)
Thanks for the reply.

How would I do this on the online portal? When I input my permanent address on 1 September 2019 and confirm that my permanent address will be the same on 1 September 2022 it gives me no option to make declarations of temporary residence.
Hi there,

You need to submit the application, and then upload the evidence to show temporary residence.

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads