Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys,

I'm finding it quite hard to study AS Economics independently. My folder from a distance-learning institution came in late (week before half-term) and I am still in the last section of Module 1. I've got only 2 months to do all the 9 modules (study hours: 36 hours to finish first Unit for Jan exam) and this does not include revision. I am quite worried because I might fail Economics. Im doing well with my other subjects except economics - im finding time and motivation tough. How do you get motivated? and to all guys who did economics through distance learning (or any other hard subjects), how do you manage it? I can feel that all the stuffs I take in goes out and doesn't stay in my head.

Please help me.. I am desperate of someone's advice and help on this matter.
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    ne1?

ReputationRep:
    9 modules? I thought there were just 3 in AS.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, how much Maths is there in Economics at AS Level?

ReputationRep:
    First I would collect and compile all the copies of related past exam papers - atleast 5 yrs previous ones. Second I would read each chapter once - then try to solve end of chapters questions and related exams questions. Then go back for a second read at the same chapter. Usually I find second time around I retain quite higher % of content. I would try end of chapter and exams paper again - before moving on to next chapter. I would repeat the same for second and so on. One final revison for the entire course before the exams. Good luck

(rep me if like my advise )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    almost nothing, basic addition, division etc and basic graph drawing.
    As long as you didn't break down in tears at GCSE maths, its ok
    I expected more maths in it to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Very little and basic Airthmetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    9 modules? I thought there were just 3 in AS.
    oops.. sorry i meant 9 topics (i accidentally called them modules - sorry for that). there are 2 units (jan and june exams mostly).

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR and there's virtually none.

I don't think Economics is too hard to self-teach. Just get some good textbooks, make notes, learn notes, make more notes. Then have a look at the exam paper and mark scheme, see what you know/don't know.

Practise the essay questions. The first few questions on the paper are relatively simple, the essay questions are where you'll gain or lose marks. If you are good at writing essays then you don't have to worry about the essays as much, but if you aren't particularly good then you really need to practise your essay writing because it will cost you marks (the essay questions on OCR are worth 12/45 for AS, I think it's more for A2 but I'm not 100% sure).

ReputationRep:
    Would it be something that is possible to self-study entirely alone, using a course book or something?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be something that is possible to self-study entirely alone, using a course book or something?
    I think you'd probably need some help with exam technique. But there's no coursework in Economics (well at least not in the OCR syllabus) and you can learn all the material out of text books, so I don't see what's stopping you teaching yourself, as long as you can get some of your work assessed.

ReputationRep:
    sorry late reply.. just had my dinner.. Im doing EdExcel AS Economics.. I was going to print some past exam papers in the edexcel website but unfortunately the past exam papers webpage is not working. thank you guys for your replies but would such methods ,like doing an exam after reading a unit (or topic), maximise my memory on absorbing the information? i haven't tried this so i will give it a shot. Anymore methods of learning to study Economics effectively??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_neg_master_)
    sorry late reply.. just had my dinner.. Im doing EdExcel AS Economics.. I was going to print some past exam papers in the edexcel website but unfortunately the past exam papers webpage is not working. thank you guys for your replies but would such methods ,like doing an exam after reading a unit (or topic), maximise my memory on absorbing the information? i haven't tried this so i will give it a shot. Anymore methods of learning to study Economics effectively??
    Have you thought about getting one of those Philip Allan revision guides? And those notes by Geoff Riley (Tutor2u) are excellent. It's just the person that I am, but I found that I was able to maximise my memory by just reading and re-reading the chapters.

I did Edexcel too. The theory is not hard, and the mathematics you have to do is very, very basic (eg. percentage changes). Be sure to have a look at the examiners reports though - sometimes what is more important is not merely remembering the technical terms, but exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist1)
    Have you thought about getting one of those Philip Allan revision guides? And those notes by Geoff Riley (Tutor2u) are excellent. It's just the person that I am, but I found that I was able to maximise my memory by just reading and re-reading the chapters.

I did Edexcel too. The theory is not hard, and the mathematics you have to do is very, very basic (eg. percentage changes). Be sure to have a look at the examiners reports though - sometimes what is more important is not merely remembering the technical terms, but exam technique.
    what are these exam techniques, may i know? thanks.. is tutor2u free?

ReputationRep:
    The great mystery of exam technique is only really unravelled when you have a look at a lot of mark schemes and examiners reports. And yes, the tutor2u website is free (not sure about all of the pdf notes though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist1)
    The great mystery of exam technique is only really unravelled when you have a look at a lot of mark schemes and examiners reports. And yes, the tutor2u website is free (not sure about all of the pdf notes though).
    unfortunately, edexcel past exam papers, mark schemes and examiners reports have to be purchased before viewing it. I tried going to the centre-accessed exam papers (not the student one, the centre one), but it keeps blocking me (i entered the centre number correctly).

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately, edexcel past exam papers, mark schemes and examiners reports have to be purchased before viewing it. I tried going to the centre-accessed exam papers (not the student one, the centre one), but it keeps blocking me (i entered the centre number correctly).
    I think I've got some stuff from last year. PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Guys,

I'm finding it quite hard to study AS Economics independently. My folder from a distance-learning institution came in late (week before half-term) and I am still in the last section of Module 1. I've got only 2 months to do all the 9 modules (study hours: 36 hours to finish first Unit for Jan exam) and this does not include revision. I am quite worried because I might fail Economics. Im doing well with my other subjects except economics - im finding time and motivation tough. How do you get motivated? and to all guys who did economics through distance learning (or any other hard subjects), how do you manage it? I can feel that all the stuffs I take in goes out and doesn't stay in my head.

Please help me.. I am desperate of someone's advice and help on this matter.
    thank you!
    I found the textbook by Peter Smith quite useful. Hopefully, he would have written a new edition for the new specification you are studying for.
    Did you mean this one?
    https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/
    Try 99681. I just succeeded.
    I don't know if tutor2u is free, but these two spreads might offer you a little help:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=14631528
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=14661968

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Splee.. well, I downloaded some stuffs already in Edexcel ( the reason why i can't log-on is that they were fixing their website). The links are what I really need for my essays. It's only the absorbing information bit that i'm struggling.. I think i need to be serious with my work now

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Splee.. well, I downloaded some stuffs already in Edexcel ( the reason why i can't log-on is that they were fixing their website). The links are what I really need for my essays. It's only the absorbing information bit that i'm struggling.. I think i need to be serious with my work now
    Yes you may find it's a bit time consuming to understand the economic framework of thinking...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.