Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else feel like a child again around someone they like? watch

I really like this guy we've been on a couple of dates but I find it soooooo hard to be myself with him...usually I am SO confident but around him I just feel like a little girl and get all shy and it's really annoying cos I want him to see the real me whos fun and confident.

The shyness it probably endearing for a while but then it gets boring and I hope he doesn't think that (I'm not saying shy girls are boring but it's not me) and it won't go away How can I go about being 'myself'?? any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Yes totally. This is where alcohol comes in

(Original post by imomo16)
    Yes totally. This is where alcohol comes in
    I can't be drunk all the time lol. Well first night i met him was at a birthday and that was great I was intoxicated lol.. thats probably when I was the real me...but after that haven't really been in a drinking atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    lol it's normal. my boyfriend and I are in our 20s and we still tickle fight .. lick fight ... "you're closer to <object> so you do it" and the whole "I'm furthest away, I WIN!" thing. Yeah. Shy? I suppose if you just met him it'll be like that, but once you're more comfortable around him it'll get ridiculous xD

ReputationRep:
    yes, i agree. i had a thing 4 this dude to, and err i got very very "quiet" when he was around around. i couldn't even look him in the face without going red in the face, then he left college

ReputationRep:
    When I like someone, I feel a child.

ReputationRep:
    Same here, like said before: Alcohol helps :p:

ReputationRep:
    For me it varies a lot. I either don't shut up or I go very shy. I've also started having panic attacks around him if he asks me something - very strange!

ReputationRep:
    same here. i just feel like i'm 13 again. we met our new language assistant the other day, and now you can see both of us girls in the class sneaking off before the lesson to check our hair and make-up (me who rarely wears make-up since i'm allergic to a lot of it) and sat there giggling. it's cringeworthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really like this guy we've been on a couple of dates but I find it soooooo hard to be myself with him...usually I am SO confident but around him I just feel like a little girl and get all shy and it's really annoying cos I want him to see the real me whos fun and confident.

The shyness it probably endearing for a while but then it gets boring and I hope he doesn't think that (I'm not saying shy girls are boring but it's not me) and it won't go away How can I go about being 'myself'?? any tips?
    I really do feel your pain

ReputationRep:
    Aargh i'm atrocious round people I like - I go all quiet but still manage to end up humilating myself (ie. banging into bookshelves as you try and avoid them in the silent library... such a classic comedy moment... :P)

Anyway, I guess the more you get used to being around them the less shy you'll be, so just keep putting yourself out there. At first it's all uncomfortable but after a while you'll just get used to it and relax into conversation. Anyway, you say you're going on dates with him? In that case he obviously likes you so why not talk to him about it, he probably feels the same way. :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.