How does increasing the temperature increase the rate of respiration in yeast?

Watch this thread
Yayang
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

Doing the AQA A level biology practical 9 and I don't understand why increasing the temperature increases the rate of respiration in yeast? I was also wondering how that was linked to the methylene blue becoming colourless in the practical?

I know that increasing the temperature increases the kinetic energy of the molecules, which in turn increases the rate of respiration but why is that?

Many thanks
Not.Vibing.
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
From what I can understand, when you increase the rate of a temperature, it also increases the rate of successful collisions between the reacting particles so there is more chance of the reaction occurring.

I don't do aqa so that's the extent of my knowledge on this topic, sorry!
Jess_Lomas
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Yayang)
Hi guys,

Doing the AQA A level biology practical 9 and I don't understand why increasing the temperature increases the rate of respiration in yeast? I was also wondering how that was linked to the methylene blue becoming colourless in the practical?

I know that increasing the temperature increases the kinetic energy of the molecules, which in turn increases the rate of respiration but why is that?

Many thanks
The more kinetic energy the faster the enzyme controlled reaction is meaning that more oxidative phosphorylation will take place so more hydrogen atoms will be split into protons and electrons so the methylene blue will accept more electrons and become reduced faster
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed