The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences Module Requirements

I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths (I dropped physics on the first term stupidly). Am I able to take the physics modules alongside chemistry still?
Original post by prankcake
I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths (I dropped physics on the first term stupidly). Am I able to take the physics modules alongside chemistry still?

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year natural sciences student at the uni of Nottingham.
Each uni works their course and entry requirements differently so make sure to have a proper look and email anyone you can find that runs the courses to get a bit more clearance on it.

Sadly, from what I know and how it works at Nottingham for subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and maths you need to a level or equivalent to study the subject at uni.
There might be other options such as a foundation year in physics or other shorter term qualifications that you could do before going to uni if you decide that physics is the one for you,

I hope this helps but if you have nay other questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year natural sciences student at the uni of Nottingham.
Each uni works their course and entry requirements differently so make sure to have a proper look and email anyone you can find that runs the courses to get a bit more clearance on it.

Sadly, from what I know and how it works at Nottingham for subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and maths you need to a level or equivalent to study the subject at uni.
There might be other options such as a foundation year in physics or other shorter term qualifications that you could do before going to uni if you decide that physics is the one for you,

I hope this helps but if you have nay other questions just let me know,

Thank you! I attended a lecture recently which ran through some of the stuff that’s taught on the physical chemistry side. It did spark my interest but I’m not sure if just physical chemistry would satisfy my interests, since I do love lots of the topics studied on the more pure physics of the spectrum. E.g. astrophysics, quantum mechanics (ik it’s taught in chemistry), electronics, electromagnetism, waves and mechanics. The reason I dropped it initially was because the workload was too much at the time and very stressful due to other factors in my life. However, I do miss it and I’m scared I might miss out on something that I really wanna do. Currently I’ve been thinking just to head down the chemistry path, but I’m super indecisive hehe
Original post by prankcake
Thank you! I attended a lecture recently which ran through some of the stuff that’s taught on the physical chemistry side. It did spark my interest but I’m not sure if just physical chemistry would satisfy my interests, since I do love lots of the topics studied on the more pure physics of the spectrum. E.g. astrophysics, quantum mechanics (ik it’s taught in chemistry), electronics, electromagnetism, waves and mechanics. The reason I dropped it initially was because the workload was too much at the time and very stressful due to other factors in my life. However, I do miss it and I’m scared I might miss out on something that I really wanna do. Currently I’ve been thinking just to head down the chemistry path, but I’m super indecisive hehe

Hey,

No worries!
Yeah I totally get it and it sounds like you are doing the right things by attending taster sessions etc, I would recommend doing as much of that as possible.
Maybe also talk to your teachers and careers advisors and see if they recommend any particular courses or ways to approach things.
If you have any other questions about NatSci etc just let me know,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending