Confused about Oxbridge

Watch this thread
hclml
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I want to apply for Law at Oxford but all my teachers are discouraging me because it is very competitive, I'm wondering if there is any point in applying? Or will I just be wasting an application place?

Alevel Predicted: A* (Politics) A* (Spanish) D2 (English Lit)

I mean I have the predicted grades so I'm not too sure why they are discouraging me. I know law is one of the most competitive subjects but surely there's no harm in trying. I think they are also putting me off because I go to a private school and so I statistically have to work harder to get in.

I am also looking at Durham, Bristol, Manchester

Would I be better off putting Durham as my aspirational and having an extra safe option?
Last edited by hclml; 2 weeks ago
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hclml)
Hi I want to apply for Law at Oxford but all my teachers are discouraging me because it is very competitive, I'm wondering if there is any point in applying? Or will I just be wasting an application place?

GCSE's 9999988887
Alevel Predicted A* (Politics) A* (Spanish) D2 (English Lit)

I mean I have the predicted grades so I'm not too sure why they are discouraging me. I know law is one of the most competitive subjects but surely there's no harm in trying. I think they are also putting me off because I go to a private school and so I statistically have to work harder to get in.

I am also looking at Durham, Bristol, Manchester

Would I be better off putting Durham as my aspirational and having an extra safe option?
You’ve got 5 places you can apply to, if you really want to give Oxford a shot then I’d say apply and even if you don’t get it you’d till have 4 other options for good unis which is plenty.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean, statistically you have to work less hard - the chance of a private school applicant getting in is currently higher than the chance of a state school applicant getting in. The ideal is that it shouldn't be an issue in either direction, and it's not worth worrying about (and certainly not worth being used as a basis for deciding whether to apply or not). But don't let anyone tell you that coming from a private school disadvantages you right now, because it's not true. It's still an advantage.

Why are they discouraging you? Could be anything, from concern about you having a mixture of qualifications, to they know you really well and don't think you'll enjoy the tutorial system, to inverted snobbery, to a personal dislike of the course, to them only encouraging the very top students to apply so they can brag about their success rate in the prospectus, to pure ignorance. There's really no way we can guess.

Why would you need another safe option? You can only go to one university - there are no advantages to getting more than two offers as you can only hold two (a firm and an insurance) anyway. I mean, it's a nice ego boost to get five, but that's all it is.

Will you be wasting an application place? On average, yes. Most people who apply don't get in. But that doesn't matter as far as having a university to go to goes (see above comment about getting more than two offers out of five being irrelevant). If applying somewhere that you probably won't get in horrifies you, then Oxford may not be a good choice (and you might want to consider just how slow Durham are at making offers, too - at least with Oxford you are guaranteed to know for sure in January).

Good luck!
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldn’t discourage an oxbridge app if you were genuinely keen to attend if you got an offer.
_gcx
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You're not very far from a perfect set of grades, I'd give it a go if you're up for it.
hannychica
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to try for Oxford I’d say go for it, it’s your application not your teachers.

Yes, it is extremely competitive and you are statistically more likely to be rejected but you would have a fair shot with your grades. If you don’t get in it’s not exactly a wasted choice because you could at least say you tried
rebelw
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Ur teachers might be trying to motivate you by reverse psychology lol, or testing how much you want it before investing time in helping you
If you really want it then go for it obvs or you'll regret it
BUT do you think you'll actually do well at the LNAT? cos that's the only thing that will set you apart, seeing as most realistic applicants will have equal or better exam creds.
I'd also consider Cambridge cos it's just as good and doesn't have as much randomness arising from ridiculous levels of oversubscription like oxford.

It also seems like Oxford look somewhat less favourably on independent school applicants than cambridge, despite what they say on their website.
I know multiple ppl at cambridge who have topped/ come close to topping their year in first year after being rejected by oxford the year earlier. Although maybe they're just extra motivated by past failure
Last edited by rebelw; 4 weeks ago
username1473246
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
defo still apply! but don't be too discouraged if you don't get in. Oxford's offers to private school students has been drastically decreasing, especially in the last 2 years. Private school students are in the minority at Oxford, despite what all the spiteful and bitter non private school students like to claim. Also be warned, Oxford is a horrible and toxic environment and law especially is extremely hard and honestly completely miserable (I am an Oxford Law student). Oxford in particular has done nothing but close doors as the woke culture of the UK means that law firms basically won't hire form Oxford anymore. Just be prepared.
hclml
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by username1473246)
Oxford in particular has done nothing but close doors as the woke culture of the UK means that law firms basically won't hire form Oxford anymore. Just be prepared.
Do you know if that is relevant to Magic Circle firms too? As that is my ultimate aim
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hclml)
Do you know if that is relevant to Magic Circle firms too? As that is my ultimate aim
The account you are replying to deleted itself because it was talking utter nonsense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (6)
46.15%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
30.77%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (1)
7.69%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (2)
15.38%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (0)
0%

Watched Threads