How can I get a higher salary ?

Watch this thread
peteryoungy
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 17 year old full time student and I have got a job at M&S.

I am getting paid 9.5 an hour and want to know how I can get this salary up.

Any ideas ?
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You're currently earning at the National Living Wage for adults (23+), which isn't bad for a 17 year-old. You earn more essentially by being more valuable. It's simple economics.

Look around at the other people you're working with. Can you see any way you could be improving yourself by emulating them? Are they more customer focused, for example? (I've no idea if you're on the shop floor or in the warehouse, so it's difficult to come-up with generic examples.)

Try to learn as much about the job and any associated jobs. Do you completely understand how the stock control system works, or how refunds are processed? Do you make yourself available to work overtime if someone else calls in sick?

You want to put yourself in a position such that when a new opportunity arises for advancement (as a team leader, for example, or whatever term M&S uses) you're the person that comes to mind.

(Of course, all this is someone idealistic. Sometimes the person who gets paid most isn't the person who does the best job - but we can hope!)
ScoutLeopard
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
ngl £9.50 is pretty good for a 17 year old. In my job I got paid minimum wage for 18 year olds (£6.56 at the time) and I know quite a few of my friends got paid the minimum wage for 16 & 17 year old before they turned 18 (£4 something).

maybe to talk to your manager or take on some extra training?
peteryoungy
Rep:
My friends who work get paid minimum £10 but they don't have savings. I am thinking of saving definitely 75% of my money. I am trying to make it fair for myself. If my friends get paid above 10 then I should get paid more than 10.

Only thing that comes into my mind is night shift which may pay me more.
ScoutLeopard
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
where are they working though? different companies offer different wages to 17 year olds and just because your friends earn that much doesn't mean that you are entitled to that too.

For example, the range of salaries for me and my friends at 17 - only last summer - was between about £4.60 and £10.50 because of where we worked.

If you are desperate for a higher salary, find a different job that pays more or utilise your skills and sell something to bring in extra money.
peteryoungy
Rep:
I want to work at Lidl.

Who doesn't love money and everyone loves to apply for Lidl.

I am grateful that this opportunity is in my hands.

But I do believe that I can do something to increase my salary.

If I work my a** off at work can this make the manager have pity for me and increase my salary.
ScoutLeopard
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
ok, apply to Lidl then.

just to let you know, salries are often set company wide so you may not be able to increase your salary without moving your shift, doing more training or taking on more responsibility.

another option is to work for a restaurant that pays well and then get tips as well.
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by ScoutLeopard)
ok, apply to Lidl then.

just to let you know, salries are often set company wide so you may not be able to increase your salary without moving your shift, doing more training or taking on more responsibility.

another option is to work for a restaurant that pays well and then get tips as well.
what restaurants ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.02%
As I expected (65)
33.16%
Harder (72)
36.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.08%

Watched Threads