Molecular formula of methyl propanoate?

Watch this thread
Not.Vibing.
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A. CH3CH2COOCH3
B. C2H4O
C. C4H8O2
D. HCOOCH2CH2CH3

I initially thought the answer would be C because I thought A and D were structural formulas and hence would not be right as they were asking for a molecular formula.

In my textbook, the answer is given as A.

I just wanted to ask if I got my definitions muddled up? I'm 99% sure I'm right but then again, I could be completely wrong as well and might need to revaluate all my life decisions.

EDITED to make the formulas look nicer.
Last edited by Not.Vibing.; 1 month ago
simxne_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I think you're right, it's probably a mistake in the textbook. I agree, A would be the structural formula, B is the empirical formula, C is the molecular formula and D is propyl methanoate I think (if someone did the naming the wrong way round, then they'd get D). Since we're both quite certain, surely we can't be wrong...
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by simxne_)
I think you're right, it's probably a mistake in the textbook. I agree, A would be the structural formula, B is the empirical formula, C is the molecular formula and D is propyl methanoate I think (if someone did the naming the wrong way round, then they'd get D). Since we're both quite certain, surely we can't be wrong...
You is right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.02%
As I expected (65)
33.16%
Harder (72)
36.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.08%

Watched Threads