Question about euthanasia/hamster

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I had to have my hamster put to sleep and the vet gave me the body. I was upset etc so have only just looked at the body
The first thing I saw was that his eye was very popped out/bulging and I’m wondering if it’s due to him struggling/very panicked has the vet had to squeeze etc

Is it something that is expected. I don’t know why I’m asking as it’s over and there’s nothing I can do I guess I’m just searching for peace of mind

Please no trolls/nasty comments
_aaliceg
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
This is natural. This is not a sign that hamster was struggling. this is probably due to rigor mortis - dead animals release lots of gasses and chemicals, and along with that they go through muscle changes. This is your hamsters body relaxing after death. He would have not looked this when he died, this is an after effect. This happens to humans too, we just never get to see it.

I hope ur okay <3
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _aaliceg)
This is natural. This is not a sign that hamster was struggling. this is probably due to rigor mortis - dead animals release lots of gasses and chemicals, and along with that they go through muscle changes. This is your hamsters body relaxing after death. He would have not looked this when he died, this is an after effect. This happens to humans too, we just never get to see it.

I hope ur okay <3
Sorry it took a while, thanks. Hm maybe it was the rigour Mortis would this occur within an hour though.
Guess there’s no point in wondering anymore anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed