Is it worth getting accommodation for uni if you live in the same city

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What I'm basically saying is, is it worth moving out closer to uni if you live in the same city. My commute would be an hour each way if I lived at home and I also want to experience uni life. It's in london btw so it's also going to be quite expensive I assume. Also is the process for getting accommodation the same if you live in the same city. I'm also not sure how to get accommodation because there's no actual links or anything on the website.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What I'm basically saying is, is it worth moving out closer to uni if you live in the same city. My commute would be an hour each way if I lived at home and I also want to experience uni life. It's in london btw so it's also going to be quite expensive I assume. Also is the process for getting accommodation the same if you live in the same city. I'm also not sure how to get accommodation because there's no actual links or anything on the website.
It's also at Barts and I've heard their campus and accomodation is separate to the rest of the uni or something. Could someone tell me about that because I cant find anything online
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi Anonymous

It is very much a personal choice, many students won't be living in University accommodation but can still join in uni life, the percentage of students living on campus is actually lower than we think (only 27% https://www.savethestudent.org/accom...rvey-2019.html). You might find that the University accommodation also involves a commute as well, as property prices are so high in central London a lot of the colleges and universities have property further out.

The fact you live in the same city makes no difference, the University will love to take your money. I don't know where you are planning on studying, so I cannot point you in the right direction in terms of applying, or even just seeing the details...If you truly cannot find an accommodation page on their website, then contact them and ask.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
1 hour each way is long imo, (too long for me), would almost certainly compromise your ability to get involved in the social side of university life (if you are interested in that). You could make the academic side work but it will be more difficult, and require more planning and make life a lot harder (especially when you have group projects) early mornings/coupled to late library sessions...
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

It's definitely up to you what you decide; living in halls is really great for immersing yourself in that uni experience as you experience halls living and being surrounded by other first years 24/7, who would usually share in going to things like freshers events, socials and campus. An hour can be a long commute, but if you're used to long travel times and don't mind having to leave a bit earlier for class, it's definitely doable and honestly just becomes another part of your routine.

While living in halls does add a lot to the uni experience, it definitely isn't the only way! You can still experience a lot of uni life without it, I would say when you go to campus, hang around there as much as you can. You can meet more people, go to the library and do work, and most likely hear about any socials if you've missed emails or posts about it. And as you make friends, you'll definitely meet people who are happy to have you over to theirs to chill.

London can be a very expensive city and it's a lot of money if you choose to pay for accommodation. Personally, I would stay at home since you'd be saving a lot and you can be in the comfort of your own house and not have to deal with the hassle of moving. Especially since you live in the same city and the commute is only an hour. If finances aren't any problem at all for you, then I'd say apply for accommodation since it is a part of the uni experience. But if it is a problem, you're not missing out on a whole lot. A lot of people I know go back and forth between home and their accommodation anyway.

If you are wanting that halls experience, you can maybe try it for first year and for the rest of your degree live at home; after first year everyone usually moves out of halls so it's really mainly a first year experience. But have a think and look at your finances and see. There's pros and cons to either decision you make, but neither are wrong!

Best of luck with deciding and if you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them!

Jade
Official University of Southampton Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads