The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, youre allowed to watch stuff after they've been aired. But my friend says that in the contract somewhere it tells you you HAVE to have a tv licence if you take a computer or laptop.

I've got the £200 saved, I wont get my contract til results dayish I believe, on 20th (I assume you've done a btec or something?) but I still dunno what to do about the £1600 they want you to pay before you have the student loans.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
**CutiePie**
Chunky is awesome

Just wondering if we have a reading list before we start?
Reply 282
Got my contract today, yay.

Feels like this whole thing is becoming more real now lol.

havent read through the contract yet but it says i have to pay my deposit thing for newarke point by cheque.. all the money for that is in my savings account so methinks ill have to transfer then make the cheque.. errrgh so annoying they cant take direct debit.
ChunkymunkyDJC
Just wondering if we have a reading list before we start?

Yup we do! I've brought all the books. Go onto the Journalism thing on the DMU website, and somewhere it says what the reading list is. I picked up all the books for about £40/50 on amazon so have a look on there, it's really good :smile:
I got my contract through yesterday, for Liberty Park, it says it needs to be signed and returned in 3 days, bit extreme isnt it?
Reply 285
Thanks hallucinated and bah to the tv-licensing people. Another lot of money down the drain :frown:

And to ravenjuice: yes it is very extreme, I think my parents were a bit worried when I started faffing around the place when I got it yesterday ...

When do we get our reading lists? I know some people already have them, but I'm merely very confused ...
Yeah my guarantor is my dad and he wont even be home til tomorrow night! Ah well, I'm sure i'll manage, it also says on a separate sheet that you have 7 days, so god knows, with how long it took them to sort the whole thing out you'd have thought they'd been a bit more forgiving, having said that im still really looking forward to it.
Reply 287
i phoned thme this morning, they said they need it back within 3 days but b.c of the weekend we get extra time.

has anyone got a direct dedit mandate form with some of the info cut off from the left?

ive kinda winged it and filled in what it looks like they are asking for (sort code etc)
Reply 288
errrgh just phoned them about the deposit payment and they said they can only take it by cheque.. yet they give 4 options to pay with including direct debit.. ive filled in the direct debit option and put all my details there and she told me just tipex it all out.

If they cant take it by d.debit they WHY DO THEY GIVE THE BLOODY OPTION?!
Yusuf.T
errrgh just phoned them about the deposit payment and they said they can only take it by cheque.. yet they give 4 options to pay with including direct debit.. ive filled in the direct debit option and put all my details there and she told me just tipex it all out.

If they cant take it by d.debit they WHY DO THEY GIVE THE BLOODY OPTION?!

I'm paying my instalments by 'postdates cheques' and the company are taking the first payment in October, after the student loan comes in.
Reply 290
imoneofthem
I'm paying my instalments by 'postdates cheques' and the company are taking the first payment in October, after the student loan comes in.

ive just tipexed out my bank details and ticked the 'pay by cheque' option. God the sheet looks awful now but hopefully they wont kick up a fuss.
If people are worried about payments + the big numbers then go to your bank branch (HSBC, Abbey, etc) and upgrade your account to a 'Student Bank Account'. Some will offer you an interest free overdraft of £1000 for your first year of study, that means you can go below the 0 mark until -1000 without being charged extra and is useful for those paying rent fees before the loan kicks in.

Another solution would be the notorious credit card or visa!

But always and ALWAYS discuss the finance with your parents before you take any initiative since they can probably help you the most due to their experiences.
Reply 292
Yeah I agree completely! I've managed to (somehow) work out with my dad so that he's paid the postdated cheques, which have now been sent off, and I pay him back gradually. I'll eventually get there, but it does save you from going crazy over the amount of money that's got to be sent off in a stupidly short amount of time ...
Reply 293
Yo, hallucinated's friend here.

OK SO AM I THE ONLY ONE STRESSING OUT ABOUT THIS.

I have no money, i have no student bank account (yet). I haven't sent my form off yet and have to on monday, probably by special delivery so it gets there tuesday morning and now i learn that you CAN'T pay by debit? AHHHHHHHH

Ok my great plan was this:

- Give them my debit details of my CURRENT bank account. £200 deposit is in there for them.
- Write a nice letter to them explaining that im currently in the process of getting a stuent bank account with an overdraft so my details will change and that i will contact them by phone as soon as i know the info of my new account so that they can take my rent payments out of there. Then do so.
- Save a couple months wage up, put in new bank account.
- First terms rent, taken out of new account on the 26th. (because they will have changed my details... obv)
- Student loan goes in... sometime, and evens things out.

BUT I CANT PAY BY DEBIT? ahh my plan is ruined and im even more stressed. My parents cant afford to give me post dated cheques! I dont know what to do!
I'm really not impressed by the short amount of time they've asked people to sort this out. It's not that easy. And to be honest its really getting me down :c
Im so worried im not gonna get my room just because theyre asking for money so soon :c

any help, at all, would be absolutely wonderful
Reply 294
oh btw, staying in liberty park.

so... might be different to other halls?

ohhhh :C epic sadface
Im in liberty park, i to think its a bit extreme to make you return the contract in 3 days, i do think its unfiar how they make people pay before there loan comes, surely it should be the other way around.
Reply 296
Nomi_B
Yo, hallucinated's friend here.

OK SO AM I THE ONLY ONE STRESSING OUT ABOUT THIS.

I have no money, i have no student bank account (yet). I haven't sent my form off yet and have to on monday, probably by special delivery so it gets there tuesday morning and now i learn that you CAN'T pay by debit? AHHHHHHHH

Ok my great plan was this:

- Give them my debit details of my CURRENT bank account. £200 deposit is in there for them.
- Write a nice letter to them explaining that im currently in the process of getting a stuent bank account with an overdraft so my details will change and that i will contact them by phone as soon as i know the info of my new account so that they can take my rent payments out of there. Then do so.
- Save a couple months wage up, put in new bank account.
- First terms rent, taken out of new account on the 26th. (because they will have changed my details... obv)
- Student loan goes in... sometime, and evens things out.

BUT I CANT PAY BY DEBIT? ahh my plan is ruined and im even more stressed. My parents cant afford to give me post dated cheques! I dont know what to do!
I'm really not impressed by the short amount of time they've asked people to sort this out. It's not that easy. And to be honest its really getting me down :c
Im so worried im not gonna get my room just because theyre asking for money so soon :c

any help, at all, would be absolutely wonderful

I know it's stressful but I would just ring them up and explain that you just can't come up with that amount of money in such a short space of time! To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't had people phoning up already as it is a lot to ask.

Talk to them about what options you have, and hopefully you can give your bank details over the phone? If you can, it means the £200 is out of the way and they know that you definitely want your room. Then sort that Student Account out pronto! It will help you a lot! Good Luck! :biggrin:
Reply 297
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular.. Im just curious, why did people put places like Liberty Park down if they knew they couldn't pay the money? As it clearly states in the book DMU send that they require the money before you get the student loan.

I really wanted Liberty myself, but could not afford it without the loan so just went Bede
Reply 298
Starkov
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular.. Im just curious, why did people put places like Liberty Park down if they knew they couldn't pay the money? As it clearly states in the book DMU send that they require the money before you get the student loan.

I really wanted Liberty myself, but could not afford it without the loan so just went Bede

thats what happened with me when i saw the prices of the halls and how nice the most expensive ones were.

I was going to choose a cheaper hall, but call me fussy but i just didnt want to share a toilet or shower with anyone so i put down newarke point.. knew i had to come up with some serious cash asap so i did millions of hours of overtime and saved it all up.. and thankfully.. ive got into newarke and now they have my monies grrr!! lol
Reply 299
Thank you so much :smile: It's really sort of comforting knowing that there's people stressing too and are willing to help you out, even with a bit of advice.

I'm ringing the housing office in the morning, my application is complete and ready to send off. Cheques are completely out of the question now i reckon

Latest

Trending

Trending