The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Starkov
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular.. Im just curious, why did people put places like Liberty Park down if they knew they couldn't pay the money? As it clearly states in the book DMU send that they require the money before you get the student loan.

I really wanted Liberty myself, but could not afford it without the loan so just went Bede

Hmm not aimed at anyone in particular?

I chose Liberty Park because i've had friends stay there and recommend it to me. I was fully aware of what it said in the accommodation guide but put it as my first choice anyway. Maybe a stupid decision on my part, but i liked the look of it and trusted my friends' word. The guide also gave suggestions on how the first payment could be paid (i.e. student bank account with large interest free overdrafts), which is what i'm doing. I'm more stressing out about the amount of time that has been given for applicants to sort everything out, the confusing application itself and saving up enough money so everything works out.

I think Bede was my 3rd choice, newark 2nd i think
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Student Bank accounts give you a £1000 interest free overdraft. The accommodation will cost you £175/200 for the damage deposit and if you student loan doesn't arrive then you're also paying for the first semester rent which varies upon where you are going to live.

Overall you will need £1500 MINIMUM before going to university unless you ask Student Finance England the favour of paying you the money early.
Reply 302
imoneofthem
Student Bank accounts give you a £1000 interest free overdraft. The accommodation will cost you £175/200 for the damage deposit and if you student loan doesn't arrive then you're also paying for the first semester rent which varies upon where you are going to live.

Overall you will need £1500 MINIMUM before going to university unless you ask Student Finance England the favour of paying you the money early.

Yep, my plan was to save a few months wage running up to the 26th and put that straight into the student bank account as soon as i get paid, so that when they take out the first terms rent (its just under £1500 for me) i won't go over the over draft and have to pay the Banker a handsome sum.

These Student bank accounts are really quite good.

If push comes to shove i'll ring up student finance. I haven't heard from them in a while though :/
You bloody better be able to pay by direct debit. Not everyone has a chequebook, I certainly don't.
Reply 304
Sorry if my post offended some, was not the intention. I'm just generally curious. Some people clearly have plans how to pay, but others didn't even know they had to! Crazy
Reply 305
Hi everyone, I hope to be going in september under the buisness facility. Hu's up for making some new friends. Its a bit scary not knowing anyone but I cant wait to go... meet new people, session e.c.t (study) obviously. Message me and chat on msn :smile:
Reply 306
Starkov
Sorry if my post offended some, was not the intention. I'm just generally curious. Some people clearly have plans how to pay, but others didn't even know they had to! Crazy

It's cool man, no offense taken. But, wow, that's crazy that some people didn't know about the advance payment. I feel for them, they must be worrying more than i am. (which is not so much now)

So i rang up the housing office, the lady was really nice and helpful. I could send my application by special next day delivery, she made a note that its in the post and then i asked her about my plan and she said i could pay by Debit card and then change my bank details with them once i get a new bank account :biggrin:

That certainly took a huge weight off my shoulders. Now i just have to concentrate on saving and getting everything sorted to take.

But just a question, when it said on the yellow card that gave you arrival day options. Is that when you actually permanently move in, or do they want you to bugger off home until the 28th?
And do you have the whole weekend to move in? (26th + 27th)

I'm assuming so, it just wasn't very clear lol.
hallucinated
You bloody better be able to pay by direct debit. Not everyone has a chequebook, I certainly don't.

If you have an 18+ account then apply for one, it'll make your life much easier :yes:
Starkov

You shouldn't apologise Starkov since people should be aware of what they are applying for and signing a contract should always be taken seriously!

Be aware of the following
The length of the contract - this will determine how much you are paying overall and what additional months you are paying for (August, July)
Cost of rent per week - How are you going to pay the rent by direct debit (usually monthly payments) or postdated cheques?
Additional costs - What are the side costs on top of the rent? Damage deposit, energy contribution, broadband.
Necessities - How much will you be left with after making these payments and how much do you think you will need per week?

For example - If you're going to be living at Liberty Park @ £94/week under a 42 week contract
£94 * 42 = £3948
If you're paying by cheques then you can pay the total rent for each of the 3 semesters. 3948/3 = 1316
Damage deposit = £200
Want 2mb broadband? £200

If you add everything together you are paying a total of £4348
For the first semester you'd be paying £1316+200+200 = £1716

Note: The contract may be different and will require you to pay more for the first two semesters and less for the final third semester.

References:
DMU Accommodation Costs
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/student_services/accommodation/halls/_hall_fees.jsp

DMU Payment Methods
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/Images/bank_transfers_tcm6-15304.pdf
Reply 309
If you apply for the more expensive halls it doesnt leave a lot left after for the term
Reply 310
I see a lot of people stressing about money and payments, but beleive me, as someone who's just spent the past year in DMU halls it all works out ok and you do have money left at the end of the year as long as you're careful :smile:

Very odd about the Direct Debit thing, I was definately able to do that last year, and have been able to set up another with Victoria Hall this year.

Just make sure you read your contracts and know what you are getting so you don't get caught out, but by going through DMU its the safest way and once this sort of 'month of panic' that is August is over, and you get enrolled and your loans scanned in Freshers it all works out ok. :smile::smile:

Heres a tip though, for those going into Halls, make sure you go to get your tax exemption form early during Freshers as the queues get BIG! Took me three visits last year to get mine.

Are you all excited then? I can't wait to get back into uni life :smile:
DMU have just updated by offer status to 'Unconditional' woo!

I'll definitely be seeing all or most of you at DMU late September :smile:
Reply 312
Kelly08
I see a lot of people stressing about money and payments, but beleive me, as someone who's just spent the past year in DMU halls it all works out ok and you do have money left at the end of the year as long as you're careful :smile:

Very odd about the Direct Debit thing, I was definitely able to do that last year, and have been able to set up another with Victoria Hall this year.

Just make sure you read your contracts and know what you are getting so you don't get caught out, but by going through DMU its the safest way and once this sort of 'month of panic' that is August is over, and you get enrolled and your loans scanned in Freshers it all works out ok. :smile::smile:

Heres a tip though, for those going into Halls, make sure you go to get your tax exemption form early during Freshers as the queues get BIG! Took me three visits last year to get mine.

Are you all excited then? I can't wait to get back into uni life :smile:

Tax exemption? Where will we have to go for that? I'll have to remember that, and do you know when people get their reading lists? I know a lot of people have already but not me yet :confused: It's something that's been boggling me for a while, but thanks for the advice

VERY excited now to go to DMU - I'm a lucky one and been unconditional since November, but it's finally sinking in that it's actually happening :biggrin:
Reply 313
Nomi_B
Hmm not aimed at anyone in particular?

I chose Liberty Park because i've had friends stay there and recommend it to me. I was fully aware of what it said in the accommodation guide but put it as my first choice anyway. Maybe a stupid decision on my part, but i liked the look of it and trusted my friends' word. The guide also gave suggestions on how the first payment could be paid (i.e. student bank account with large interest free overdrafts), which is what i'm doing. I'm more stressing out about the amount of time that has been given for applicants to sort everything out, the confusing application itself and saving up enough money so everything works out.

I think Bede was my 3rd choice, newark 2nd i think

When I got my letter for halls it was the 30th of July, saying I had to pay by 1st August!! I've been saving up for months but short of driving to Leciester there was no way I would have been able to pay, I called up anyway and they've given me to the 26th but how unrealistic is that?! Ahh well one phone call and it was sorted thank god!

Cass I got my offer in January and I can't believe it's august it's just flown by next thing we'll be there! Eek i'm starting to get really nervous lol
Reply 314
Lucylou89
When I got my letter for halls it was the 30th of July, saying I had to pay by 1st August!! I've been saving up for months but short of driving to Leciester there was no way I would have been able to pay, I called up anyway and they've given me to the 26th but how unrealistic is that?! Ahh well one phone call and it was sorted thank god!

Cass I got my offer in January and I can't believe it's august it's just flown by next thing we'll be there! Eek i'm starting to get really nervous lol

I know Lu! I just sort of floated around for the year, knowing that I'm actually going, and now all this has sprung up .. it's finally sunk in: I'm going! Ahh! I'm just glad all the paperwork's done :biggrin:
Reply 315
im still waiting for them to get back to me about my accomodation :angry::angry::angry: taking so long. i got my student finance sorted and everything else. just need to know where i can live so i can take out a student loan from the bank to pay it off
^^ Same. Nothing still. It''s annoying.
Reply 317
Barz
im still waiting for them to get back to me about my accomodation :angry::angry::angry: taking so long. i got my student finance sorted and everything else. just need to know where i can live so i can take out a student loan from the bank to pay it off

you have your loan sorted?!?! when did you hear from them?? i still havent heard ANYTHING at all from them!!! :confused:
Reply 318
I have my loan sorted as well. Don't have any news regarding accommodation though.

Called them they told me I should expect an answer any week now...
The accommodation department at DMU are appalling, thank god I found accommodation elsewhere and it's cheaper too:
http://www.westmanorpropertyservices.co.uk/

Latest

Trending

Trending