Stuck with a 2:1/Merit for my Meng, what now?

Watch this thread
Fruitbasket786
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This has been bouncing around in my head a lot throughout this year if you look at my profile, I've actually posted regarding if I should continue my studies and do an undergrad master's.

Since it's exam season at the moment, I've been getting quite a few coursework marks, some have turned out great but the main coursework pieces I've got incredibly low marks for (50-55%). I've done some calculations regarding my grades (as any student usually does before going into exams) and realised that I'm guaranteed a 2:1 degree as long as I pass everything.

The ambitious part of me says that I should aim for a high 2:1 (65%+) and since the weighting for each year of my course goes 10: 20: 30: 40, I'd need 61% at least for it.

And then there's the realistic part of me that asks myself if it'll make any difference since either way I'll have a 2:1 degree.

I do feel like I threw away my opportunity of getting a first because of my coursework marks but I've grown to understand that I can't do much about it, and if anything, I feel liberated and free that I don't have the pressure to perform for every single aspect of this year because of this. It means I can spend more time on things that aren't study-related but again I'm not sure if this way of thinking is right since my coursemates seem to be headstrong and dedicated to their work (understandably)

Rambling aside, what I'm trying to say is I'm not feeling motivated to overachieve as if I do my best, I get a 2:1, and if I do my worse I'd get a 2:1.

I'm already 2/3rds through all my exams I was wondering if anyone here has gone through this feeling or is currently going through this thought process, is my way of thinking dumb?

I haven't really had anyone to talk to about this situation so I do feel like I'm being a bit of a headcase about all of this.

It feels like no matter how hard I try, I'm still doomed with the same output and that thought in itself is depressing so any advice would be greatly appreciated as long is it isn't any toxic shitpost

Yours Truly,
Fruitbasket.
username5968482
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I just think that you're overthinking it. I didn't see a single postgraduate course or a graduate job that requires you to get a first specifically. If you get a first then well done, if you don't get a first then also well done. The difference between a 2.1 and a 1st is non-existent in the job market and also no one is going to care whether you get a high 2.1 or low 2.1. Your degree is only used for the initial screening and nothing more. You should focus on what you have gained from university rather than a piece of paper itself. Think about if you've got any work experience, have done any voluntary work, internships, placements etc.. A piece of paper will only get you so far. If getting a first is your personal goal then no one is stopping you, but I don't see any point in it. The truth is that your degree has just as much value as the skills you gain from it. A 2.1 is still a good grade and will keep a lot of options open.
Last edited by username5968482; 4 weeks ago
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fruitbasket786)
...I'm guaranteed a 2:1 degree as long as I pass everything.
...It feels like no matter how hard I try, I'm still doomed with the same output...
You're "doomed" to a 2:1? How is that "doomed"? Many graduates would be very happy with a 2:1, as should you be.
Fruitbasket786
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
You're "doomed" to a 2:1? How is that "doomed"? Many graduates would be very happy with a 2:1, as should you be.
Maybe it's my ego talking, I'm grateful create this sort of predicament for myself but I think I'm worried about getting a low 2:1 result instead of a high 2:1 result and I'm not sure if that's worth stressing about or not.
Either way I think as long as I do my best I'll be happy with my end result.
My plan after my Meng is applying for work in industry to get some experience so part of me is a little worried if having a low 2:1 result will make it more difficult compared to a high 2:1. I'm not if I'm making sense but you know what I mean?
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You're definitely over-thinking this. Your grade will be a 2:1 regardless of whether you get 61% or 69%. If you're obsessing about whether a potential employer would reject you based on you having a "low" 2:1 vs. a "high" 2:1, then why stop there? Why not draw a distinction between getting 66% or 67%? Or between 66.2% and 62.3%? The boundary has to be drawn somewhere. And it's drawn, for the most part, at the degree classification - 2:1.

Sure, some employers might want your entire transcript and may try to infer some deep understanding of your abilities based upon the score you obtained in a particular module. But it might just be that you were hung-over that day.

Were you like this with A levels too? Worrying about the difference between a "low" A* and a "high" A*?
Fruitbasket786
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
You're definitely over-thinking this. Your grade will be a 2:1 regardless of whether you get 61% or 69%. If you're obsessing about whether a potential employer would reject you based on you having a "low" 2:1 vs. a "high" 2:1, then why stop there? Why not draw a distinction between getting 66% or 67%? Or between 66.2% and 62.3%? The boundary has to be drawn somewhere. And it's drawn, for the most part, at the degree classification - 2:1.

Sure, some employers might want your entire transcript and may try to infer some deep understanding of your abilities based upon the score you obtained in a particular module. But it might just be that you were hung-over that day.

Were you like this with A levels too? Worrying about the difference between a "low" A* and a "high" A*?
Yeahh I see what you mean, I've spent most of the day surfing previous TSR forums from like 10 years ago regarding this sort of thing and it's only for things such as applying for an masters course at a different university which isn't really applicable for me since I'm currently doing my masters. Also I think being hungover on exam day sounds like the worse combo ever, have you ever done that?! xD
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fruitbasket786)
Also I think being hungover on exam day sounds like the worse combo ever, have you ever done that?!
I have not, fortunately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads