Fear of sudden cardiac arrest

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm 18, female and live in the UK. I'm terrified of sudden cardiac arrests and although ik its rare at my age I know you can have asymptomatic heart conditions that increase the risk (eg hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) and I'm worried about having it and not knowing. I wish I could get my heart checked just to ease my anxiety but there's no way of doing that unless you have symptoms. I'm also more worried because back in October 2021 I woke up shaking, sick and with a racing heart (it was literally pounding in my chest) two nights in a row and I wish I had gone to the doctor then to get it checked out but stupidly I didn't. I'm scared that what happened to me then means I have some kind of undiagnosed condition. I'm also worried because I get purple feet really easily and my legs are often mottled and purple/red. Does anyone know what I should do?
Lysistrata
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Make an appointment with your GP. Do it today. If it were just the racing heart, shaking etc that would suggest anxiety and panic attacks. However the colouring in your legs is a more tangible sympton that could suggest something to do with your circulation. Go and see your GP and get professional input - it's probably nothing to worry about, but they are better placed than any of us to determine that.

Good luck
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lysistrata)
Make an appointment with your GP. Do it today. If it were just the racing heart, shaking etc that would suggest anxiety and panic attacks. However the colouring in your legs is a more tangible sympton that could suggest something to do with your circulation. Go and see your GP and get professional input - it's probably nothing to worry about, but they are better placed than any of us to determine that.

Good luck
Yes but the trouble is I've already had two appointments in the last week because of my health anxiety and booking another one would just be embarrassing. I just really wish that I'd gone to my GP back in October
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes but the trouble is I've already had two appointments in the last week because of my health anxiety and booking another one would just be embarrassing. I just really wish that I'd gone to my GP back in October
Have you tried therapy like CBT for your health anxiety? Because anxiety can manifest with physical symptoms, it often really helps to sort out the cause of the anxiety. https://www.thebritishcbtcounselling...-guide-to-cbt/
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...l-therapy-cbt/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by booklover1313)
Have you tried therapy like CBT for your health anxiety? Because anxiety can manifest with physical symptoms, it often really helps to sort out the cause of the anxiety. https://www.thebritishcbtcounselling...-guide-to-cbt/
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...l-therapy-cbt/
I want to try therapy for it but right now I'm not worried about physical symptoms as such because I don't currently have any right now I'm worried about a condition that increases your risk of sudden cardiac risk and these conditions can be asymptomatic. And right now I don't know what to do I'm so scared the only thing that would help would be getting an echocardiogram/ecg or something to check for any problems but as I don't have any symptoms I can't really do that. But at the same time what happened in October even though it didn't scare me so much at the time is now making me more worried but its not like I can book a GP appointment for something that happened months ago. But I am so stressed and anxious because this new fear is stopping me revising for my A levels and I'm worried about my grades being affected. But like I said right now the only thing that will calm me down would be getting an actual medical test to check everything is ok. But then again even that might not help because my health anxiety might find another thing to worry about.
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I want to try therapy for it but right now I'm not worried about physical symptoms as such because I don't currently have any right now I'm worried about a condition that increases your risk of sudden cardiac risk and these conditions can be asymptomatic. And right now I don't know what to do I'm so scared the only thing that would help would be getting an echocardiogram/ecg or something to check for any problems but as I don't have any symptoms I can't really do that. But at the same time what happened in October even though it didn't scare me so much at the time is now making me more worried but its not like I can book a GP appointment for something that happened months ago. But I am so stressed and anxious because this new fear is stopping me revising for my A levels and I'm worried about my grades being affected. But like I said right now the only thing that will calm me down would be getting an actual medical test to check everything is ok. But then again even that might not help because my health anxiety might find another thing to worry about.
I know, but things like anxiety can cause your extremities to feel cold because your blood is diverted. So what I mean is that anxiety could be causing the things that you are worried are to do with your heart.
It’s much more likely.
Please try and book an appointment with a therapist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads