ordinary degree?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi! so i’m currently an american student on a 4 year BMus hons degree, about to finish my 2nd year, and after some talks with my private teacher and my therapist (lol) i think the best course of action would be for me to go home as soon as possible and graduate after my 3rd year. when talking to my school’s admin, they said that i would leave with an “ordinary degree” which according to them is not accepted by most institutions. i plan to apply this autumn and start my master’s in education as soon as i’m back in the states, and now i’m worried that i won’t be able to get into a program. does anyone else have experience with ordinary degrees and postgrad applications?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi! so i’m currently an american student on a 4 year BMus hons degree, about to finish my 2nd year, and after some talks with my private teacher and my therapist (lol) i think the best course of action would be for me to go home as soon as possible and graduate after my 3rd year. when talking to my school’s admin, they said that i would leave with an “ordinary degree” which according to them is not accepted by most institutions. i plan to apply this autumn and start my master’s in education as soon as i’m back in the states, and now i’m worried that i won’t be able to get into a program. does anyone else have experience with ordinary degrees and postgrad applications?
Hi!

I'm not sure what they mean by this myself. I think it would be worth talking to your teacher or school admin and ask what they mean by this and how it would affect you. Also, contact the schools that you are thinking of applying to and asking them how it would affect you. This would just give you a better understanding and weigh up what would be the best course of action for yourself.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
An ordinary degree is a non-honours degree, and would conventionally be viewed in the UK as a "failed" degree where the ordinary degree is the exit qualification - like a CertHE or DipHE (awarded for exiting after 2/3 years in an English programme), except awarded after finishing 3 years in a programme but not meeting the requirements for honours (commonly failing the dissertation leads to this).

You most likely couldn't apply directly to masters programmes with an ordinary degree (in the UK or otherwise) and would likely need to spend a year at a US college to finish off your BA. So you would need to be looking at transferring to another college in the US, rather than applying to postgrad programmes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise