URGENT!! Gel pens in exams

Watch this thread
socbhi
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just realised I accidentally used a gel pen in my A level exam yesterday, apparently if you use a gel pen you automatically get a U because it won't scan? Is that true? Is there anything I can do about it?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by socbhi)
I've just realised I accidentally used a gel pen in my A level exam yesterday, apparently if you use a gel pen you automatically get a U because it won't scan? Is that true? Is there anything I can do about it?
Completely untrue. They can cause problems with scanning and other issues which is why they should not be used. Most black inks scan perfectly well. BUT Some inks fade in light or heat, some smudge or flake off the paper, some bleed through the paper obscuring what you write. As long as a human being can read your answers the paper will be marked - there's a small chance of lost marks if what you have written has become unreadable.
Nothing you can do about it now, your paper will have already been dispatched to the examiner.
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
socbhi
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
Completely untrue. They can cause problems with scanning and other issues which is why they should not be used. Most black inks scan perfectly well. BUT Some inks fade in light or heat, some smudge or flake off the paper, some bleed through the paper obscuring what you write. As long as a human being can read your answers the paper will be marked - there's a small chance of lost marks if what you have written has become unreadable.
Nothing you can do about it now, your paper will have already been dispatched to the examiner.
Thank you so much!! Do you think a ballpoint black gel pen will have scanned ok?
ahjpko
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ring the exam board or ask your teacher for confirmation
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I highly doubt they won't scan at all
The exam regulations say don't use them because SOME cause problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
32.86%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (32)
45.71%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads