OCR A Level Sociology Paper 1 - 23 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Watch this thread
Cosmic321
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How do you think the exam went?

Question 1- Define the concept of consumer culture [6]
Question 2- Use sources A & B to show how norms are relative [12]
Question 3- Outline & briefly evaluate the view that attitudes towards sexual identity have remained traditional [20]

Subcultures-
Question 1- Outline the view on why the media use moral panics to target youth deviance [12]
Question 2- Outline and evaluate the view that youth culture isn't ''spectacular'' [16]
Question 3- Outline and evaluate the view that youth deviance is because of working-class identities [24]
Last edited by Cosmic321; 4 weeks ago
acestar123
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cosmic321)
How do you think the exam went?

Question 1- Define the concept of consumer culture [6]
Question 2- Use sources A & B to show how norms are relative [12]
Question 3- Outline & briefly evaluate the view that attitudes towards sexual identity have remained traditional [20]

Subcultures-
Question 1- Outline the view on why the media use moral panics to target youth deviance [12]
Question 2- Outline and evaluate the view that youth culture isn't ''spectacular'' [16]
Question 3- Outline and evaluate the view that youth deviance is because of working-class identities [24]
Did this exam have lots of content from outside the advanced spec ?
Cosmic321
Rep:
(Original post by acestar123)
Did this exam have lots of content from outside the advanced spec ?
they only tell us the advanced information on the highest tariff questions of each section, so in this case, it was the 20 marker in section a and the 24 marker in section b.

they told us we could either get a question on: disability,age or sexuality in 20 marker, and they gave us sexuality
they then told us we could either get a question on: class,gender or ethnicity in 24 marker, and they gave us class

they gave us no advanced information on any other questions
acestar123
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cosmic321)
they only tell us the advanced information on the highest tariff questions of each section, so in this case, it was the 20 marker in section a and the 24 marker in section b.

they told us we could either get a question on: disability,age or sexuality in 20 marker, and they gave us sexuality
they then told us we could either get a question on: class,gender or ethnicity in 24 marker, and they gave us class

they gave us no advanced information on any other questions
Oh I see cool thanks
mxriamph
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Timing was such an issue for me I started from the back and worked my way down but I didn’t get time to complete the 12 or 6 marker. Also forgot to add critical conclusions 😭😭
Nicola909
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I hated the source question lol and timing was annoying but i think ok overall
chopski
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
the source was definetly difficult and timings are realy strict for this paper
Cosmic321
Rep:
relative means changing in different times/places
source a showed a picture of people spraying graffiti on the wall, and then source b showed a picture of a woman looking at graffiti in an art gallery

- norms are relative because graffiti may be a deviant act in an urban area, but in a posh area such as an art gallery, its seen as an art form which shows norms are relative as they change in various places
source b showed a passage about smoking being the norm influenced by celebrities and then has significantly declined in recent years
-norms are relative because smoking used to be popular and enjoyed but everyone but then has significantly declined over recent years which shows norms change over time, which shows that norms are relative
Jamillistar
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
That's exactly what I wrote as well 😊 What did you put for the sexual identity question?
Last edited by Jamillistar; 4 weeks ago
Cosmic321
Rep:
(Original post by Jamillistar)
That's exactly what I wrote as well 😊 What did you put for the sexual identity question?
First paragraph- rich, (feminist) talks about compulsory heterosexuality and how women are forced into traditional forms of sexuality, then i talked about hegemonic masculinity which enforces patriarchy and sexual roles, between a man and a woman. then i talked about the male gaze and how traditional sexuality is enforced through the media
Second paragraph- beauty standards have changed due to men profiting off of women in the media, religion, and agents of socialization force the traditional view of heterosexuality, and Ann Oakley argues women are socialized in the family into traditional sexual identity
Third paragraph- LGBT activists and 'homonationalisation' have been discriminated against by men, enforcing traditional sexuality must be with a man and a woman, then i talked about people like Jake Daniels and Sam Smith who come out as gay but are discriminated against because of their sexual identity not being traditional
evaluation- education encourages same-sex learning in schools which shows sexual identity isn't traditional anymore, and then how religion accepts gay people.
Osb04
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Late to it but did anybody use any sociologist for the 12 marker in paper 1
Rach2712
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Osb04)
Late to it but did anybody use any sociologist for the 12 marker in paper 1
This is something I've been asking other people and wondering as well, since I didn't see how you could link any sociologists to the source. I know I put in one sociologist, but I can't for the life of me remember who or how lol. Other people I've asked put around 5 and used social class sociologists which made me feel like I really messed that question up 😬
Osb04
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Here’s the thing on a crime and deviance past paper a question like this came up in crime and deviance and on the OCR exampler the candidate scored high marks but not a use of a sociologist.
Cosmic321
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
there arent really any sociologists who explicitly talk about norms tbh, i didnt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads