The Student Room Group

Qualifications & Portfolio

If I were to apply to a course on animation with enough UCAS points for a foundation year. And a promising portfolio representing skills and knowledge of the aforementioned course. Would I be able to apply for a regular undergrad position at the university?
can u elaborate? are you saying you have enough ucas points to do the foundation course, not the undergrad? a promising portfolio always getz you up there (mine got me an unconditional) but a foundation course entry averages at 32 ucas points, which is one C grade and I don't think many, if any, undegrad courses would let u in on that.
Original post by _aaliceg
can u elaborate? are you saying you have enough ucas points to do the foundation course, not the undergrad? a promising portfolio always getz you up there (mine got me an unconditional) but a foundation course entry averages at 32 ucas points, which is one C grade and I don't think many, if any, undegrad courses would let u in on that.

Ofcourse. To elaborate on the specifics, the UCAS entry requirement I am particularly facing is 80(Foundation) and 104(Undergrad). I have confidence I can make past the minimum entry, but unsure of whether I will be going high enough to get up to the undergrad requirements.
I have a gap year which I intend on using for studies of anatomy and principles of animation to produce a quality 2D portfolio.
Original post by BoJackHorseman
If I were to apply to a course on animation with enough UCAS points for a foundation year. And a promising portfolio representing skills and knowledge of the aforementioned course. Would I be able to apply for a regular undergrad position at the university?

Hi @BoJackHorseman!

Some advice that I believe will help in this situation (and many others when it comes to applications) is to check with the individual universities you're interested in! With art based courses, there's a lot of variation in the entry requirements. Some expect you to have experience in specific areas of study (usually Art & Design or I.T. for animation). Some are concerned with your UCAS points whereas others base it entirely on your portfolio. The most common application process that I have seen is a portfolio review, either online or in an interview, and then you will receive one of three outcomes through UCAS. Either rejection, an unconditional offer, or a conditional offer. When you receive a conditional offer, the most common condition is a UCAS point threshold that you must meet in order to secure a place at the university.

In your situation, I would recommend that you contact the university and let them know about your situation, asking specifically if you would be considered for a place with the amount of UCAS points you have. If you can, then it's up to you to decide whether to apply for the undergraduate course with your current portfolio.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :biggrin:
Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest