AQA A level physics electricity questions help.

Watch this thread
muhammad0112
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I don't really understand the answer to this question. The answer is 12v we are already told that lamp X is rated th 12V 36W and lamp Y is rated at 4.5V 2W. I know that the emf is 24 but i don't know why 24 - 12 would give you the pd across R1.
Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-24 161437.png
Views: 12
Size:  133.9 KB

Answe: 24 - 12 = 12V
Last edited by muhammad0112; 4 weeks ago
muhammad0112
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by muhammad0112)
Hi, I don't really understand the answer to this question. The answer is 12v we are already told that lamp X is rated th 12V 36W and lamp Y is rated at 4.5V 2W. I know that the emf is 24 but i don't know why 24 - 12 would give you the pd across R1.
Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-24 161437.png
Views: 12
Size:  133.9 KB

Answe: 24 - 12 = 12V
I looked at the other questions, to work out the Pd of R2, I had to do 12v - 4.5v. This shows the the same amount of voltage goes to each junction. But I thought that if a 1 junction has a higher total resistace, more votage will go towards that junction. So we can't assume that the same amount of PD will go to each junction.
Last edited by muhammad0112; 4 weeks ago
JSJSJSJSJ123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I looked at the other questions, to work out the Pd of R2, I had to do 12v - 4.5v. This shows the the same amount of voltage goes to each junction. But I thought that if a 1 junction has a higher total resistace, more votage will go towards that junction. So we can't assume that the same amount of PD will go to each junction.
can you post the question where you got information to work out R2
muhammad0112
Rep:
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...20Circuits.pdf

It's question 4 of this document.

Here is the markscheme:

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...its%2520MS.pdf
muhammad0112
Rep:
I think question 6ii also uses the same principle, if you don't mind having a look at that. I know that 5.4V will go to the 540 ohm resisistor. and that leaves 9.6V left. but I would think that the thermistor and the 1200 ohm resistor would be given different voltages as they have different resistance.
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...20Circuits.pdf

It's question 4 of this document.

Here is the markscheme:

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...its%2520MS.pdf
If you think of the junctions (the black dots) left to right labelled as A to D, then the question tells you that the pd across C-D, i.e. across lamp X, is 12V. As pd from A-D is 24V, the pd across A-B must be 12V, i.e. 24V - 12V.

I'd lookup resistors in series and parallel, including what that means for current and voltage, to convince yourself. Good luck!
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I think question 6ii also uses the same principle, if you don't mind having a look at that. I know that 5.4V will go to the 540 ohm resisistor. and that leaves 9.6V left. but I would think that the thermistor and the 1200 ohm resistor would be given different voltages as they have different resistance.
See my answer above - again, look up pd across components in parallel (and series), i.e. Kirchoff's Laws, and this should become straightforward.
muhammad0112
Rep:
Hi, I've just had a look at voltage across componants in parallel and it makes sense now. Thanks
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I've just had a look at voltage across componants in parallel and it makes sense now. Thanks
Excellent! I would’ve explained it, but it’s much easier for you to look it up in notes/text book with diagrams etc. than trying to do it here. Good luck with your exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads