What i want to study in university..

Watch this thread
KingPhanta
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi i currently do Health and Social Care Level 3 CACHE Extended Diploma and i was wondering what i could do after college. At first i really wanted to go into nursing but i changed my mind and want to do Human Resources but I’m already a year into Health and Social Care. Im just confused on what to do next and some advice would be great.

Thanks
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KingPhanta)
Hi i currently do Health and Social Care Level 3 CACHE Extended Diploma and i was wondering what i could do after college. At first i really wanted to go into nursing but i changed my mind and want to do Human Resources but I’m already a year into Health and Social Care. Im just confused on what to do next and some advice would be great.

Thanks
Hi KingPhanta,

It really depends on what you want to get out of your studies.

It sounds like you're a little conflicted about what route you want to take. This is very normal and it's worth bearing in mind that, even if you commit to a particular career/course of study now, it doesn't stop you from taking a different route in the future. After finishing my undergraduate degree in English Literature, I spend 11 years working in several totally different fields (administration, journalism, estate agency) before returning to university to make a career change: hopefully into either academia or the heritage sector.

That said, changing careers later down the line can be costly both in terms of time and money: it usually involves starting again from the bottom of the ladder (and on a lower salary) and may also require you to re-train through college/university courses. So if you can find a career you enjoy from the outset, so much the better!

It's probably worth you sitting down with a careers advisor at your college to look at your options. They really are the experts and are there to help students with far more than just their CVs and applications! At Keele, for example, our careers team can discuss career options and point students in the direction of useful opportunities such as work experience, internships, and informational events/ careers fairs. Careers advisors may also be able to put you in contact with alumni who work in the fields that you are interested in so that you can talk to someone about what a job in that sector is actually like.

A careers advisor will not only be able to give you information about careers you are considering but will get you thinking about why those careers appeal to you and what you want to get out of a job role. By thinking about what appeals to you about different courses - and what you hope to do after college - you'll hopefully get a clearer idea of what you want to do next, and what steps you need to take to pursue that.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise
Mangogirl4568
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
If you email nvqsolutions.com, they managed to give me some good advice for career options. They also, had really useful course materiel for what I needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.7%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.7%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.43%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.13%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.35%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.17%

Watched Threads