Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Hamlet- people who have done it and are doing it- tips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by easy_lemon)
    I did it for A2 and got an A.
    It really isn't the hardest exam you wil do in your life lol!!

The best tip I can give is to make a list of all the themes in the book and then write around 6-10 quotes for each of them. This gives you plenty to refer to in the exam. Also make a list of characters who best fit that theme or emotion and in an exam you could give an example of how they differ in dealing with it.
    Come up with ideas that challenge themes, e.g if a question asks you about the theme of the supernatural you could argue that it wasn't this at all but a product of ill mental health etc etc

Exam questions change every year, I know, but there is always something to do with themes in there somewhere. Read around the book aswell to discover the SCH background at the time and what may have contributed to Shakespeare putting those themes into the play.

It's a fun play to study! Also, as others have said, it might be good for you to get an audio book or see the play as you can learn a little bit more about the intention behind the lines. Keep in mind though that every adaptation is viewed differently so take it with a pinch of salt and form your own conclusions form the text.
    wow thanks for the very detailed advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diorbaby1687)
    haha ive always wanted to know what its like to do the question not on your schools syllabus etc high five to you :yep:
    Well I just wasn't very passionate about shakespeare at that point in time seeing as I had been forced to study at least 2 of his plays every year since year 8. I think it's better to take a risk, work harder and chose the thing your most passionate about and The crucible I found easier and more enjoyable to just rip to pieces etc (also helps that it was shorter :p: ).

We did study it a bit in our lessons but about 2 weeks were spent on the crucible (a lot of that involved watching films) where as over a term was spent on Hamlet and our year even put on a production of it and went to see it being performed twice.

Good luck in your A2's!

ReputationRep:
    I'll start.

Quote me something from Hamlet.

Go on, anything. If you can't come up with at least ten straight away, even at this stage, you will fail.

ReputationRep:
    Watched the Kenneth B version earlier, the scene after Hamlet kills Polonious. Can't wait to see it tomorrow! Loving the crazy acting and am feeling confident about the exam, though i've got 7 months to wait!!

DAVID TENNANT TOMORROW!! =D haha Anyone else on here going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtom:))

DAVID TENNANT TOMORROW!! =D haha Anyone else on here going?
    I actually hate you.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Get Yorknotes and all will become clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Get Yorknotes and all will become clear.
    :ditto:

I struggled with Hamlet throughout the year and a week before the exam it just 'clicked' and I got 90/90.

Yorknotes has a good summary which helped me to understand the order of events/structure of the play. This is important as if you mix that up in the exam, they'll probably figure that you haven't read the play properly, regardless of how much you know about each separate scene :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kt.b)
    I actually hate you.

:p:
    Oh, wasn't worth going, would have given you my ticket if you wanted . . .

Who am i kidding!! :p: It was AMAZING! =D
    sorry, but it was. Well good seats, and we were on back row of the ground floor, there were 3 floors. i was like 10 metres top from Mr Tennant! And he kept running around the theatre behind us to the different entrances
    Out of the whole row of David Tennant loving girls I was sitting with I was the one who saw him run topless behind us! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtom:))
    Oh, wasn't worth going, would have given you my ticket if you wanted . . .

Who am i kidding!! :p: It was AMAZING! =D
    sorry, but it was. Well good seats, and we were on back row of the ground floor, there were 3 floors. i was like 10 metres top from Mr Tennant! And he kept running around the theatre behind us to the different entrances
    Out of the whole row of David Tennant loving girls I was sitting with I was the one who saw him run topless behind us! haha

It sounds fun! I'll just have to satisfy myself with the Kenneth Branaugh video version....

ReputationRep:
    York Notes is pretty crap.

I think it's very important that you get a good copy of the play. My school sold us the Penguin versions which the exam board reccomend. Then I discovered the New Swan version which is BRILLIANT. It has the play down all he pages on the right, and notes on the left. So many references can't be understood out of context and it explains all of it e.g. in scene 2 when Hamlet calls Polonuis a "fishmonger" it tells you that was a colloqualism for a pimp, hence hinting Hamlet knows he is leasing his daughter for his plan to spy on Hamlet, like a prostitute. This links to the "get three to a nunary" sections later - slang for a brothel. At school out teachers don't know any of this so you can't appreciate any of it.

Oh and Arden Shakespeare is brilliant. It has more notes than play lines on practically every page and the introduction is the size of a novel. However, I find the Swan easier to use, and the Arden had a lot of historical information about versions of the play which aren't relevent to my exam. I'll probable read it afterwards

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.