How to apply for dentistry after biomed

Watch this thread
Janthony23
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I have been rejected from all my dentistry options but I have an offer for biomedical sciences at Leeds. I was looking at if I can do a dentistry course after biomedical but I am unsure on what to search for or look at as I couldn’t find any but I see that people have done it before. Any guidance would be helpful!
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Janthony23)
Hi I have been rejected from all my dentistry options but I have an offer for biomedical sciences at Leeds. I was looking at if I can do a dentistry course after biomedical but I am unsure on what to search for or look at as I couldn’t find any but I see that people have done it before. Any guidance would be helpful!
Hi there.

I'm not sure if graduate entry dentistry is much more competitive than undergrad dentistry. If this is the case then taking a gap year and reapplying for dentistry would be more sensible. hungrysalamander could confirm if this is the case or not.

Best wishes.
Last edited by TriplexA; 4 weeks ago
bea_murray0
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Janthony23)
1. it's more expensive 2. takes longer than just a gap year 3. you're wasting 3 years of your time and energy on a degree you're not as passionate about 4. it will be more competitive - you could be up against applicants with a relevant PhD or years and years of work experience in dentistry/healthcare
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
From what I have seen it’s possible but you are still up against competition and of course the cost of doing two degrees is huge. Look in to dental schools position/numbers for graduate entry. If you achieve entry grades I would be inclined to get some relevant work experience and have another shot next year. Although an advantage of doing the biomedical science is that you gain some relevant knowledge (would Leeds or another dental school take this in to consideration?) and you have another career avenue if you change your mind by then or it still doesn’t work out. If money is no object I would certainly consider this option. Leeds is a fab place to study.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

I'm not sure if graduate entry dentistry is much more competitive than undergrad dentistry. If this is the case then taking a gap year and reapplying for dentistry would be more sensible. hungrysalamander could confirm if this is the case or not.

Best wishes.
:yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads