Totally confused with residence status for my SFE application

Watch this thread
SilentRumours
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm soon to apply for SFE and I'm a bit confused regarding my residence. I've seen many posts that say that SFE requests 3-years of residence history - although this may be for EU Nationals and I'm looking far too deep into this.

I'm English by birth and I have lived here my entire life. I am wanting to attend Glasgow University in 2023 to study for my first undergraduate degree. The reason for applying here is that they offer an Access course to study the subject I really want to. Here's the grey area which is concerning me.

1) I'm going to be moving to Scotland to study the Access course (40 credits), but in doing this, I am going to need To get a full-time job there (which I have now arranged) to support myself. So, my residence will be in Scotland. but, the only reason, as mentioned, is so I can set myself up to be ready to study the Access course there and for the start of University. This is easily explained, but I've heard it can be a pain when coming to applying to SFE. This leads me to an even more difficult area.

2) Literally right before Covid I was made homeless, and I spent the better part of a year couch surfing, with no fixed address. Although it was in England, I cant possibly remember every little bit of information as it was so mixed up. It's like trying to remember what you had to eat at this exact time, on this exact date, 2 years ago. I honestly can;t remember where I was as I jumped around a lot.

As covid settled, I managed to finally get back into employment and settled. Which I'm now, again, arranging a move. My confusion is if as a UK national who is normally a resident of England, will I be asked about my previous 3 years residency, and if so, how on earth do I even begin to explain this? I've also asked a few friends who have/are attending University, and they said they only were ever asked for their current address, and contact address - the latter due to obviously being different to their home address when they moved to the City. But, again, this was in England, so this has confused me a lot more about my move.

If you could please advise, it would be so muchly appreciated. Just to add, I've spoken to SAAS and they said my circumstances do not entitle me to apply from them, due to the length of time I'll be in Scotland prior to the course, and that even though the access course isn't technically University, I'm still moving to study. BUt regarding having a full-time job may make things difficult with SFE, as moving and working fully, can mean you moved for purposes other than studying. But, moving and finding a job is to set myself up ready for study. But, the main point being is that I definitely wouldn't qualify for SAAS, when I;ve literally explained to them the exact same I have to you.

Thank you.
Last edited by SilentRumours; 1 month ago
SFE Erin N
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SilentRumours)
I'm soon to apply for SFE and I'm a bit confused regarding my residence. I've seen many posts that say that SFE requests 3-years of residence history - although this may be for EU Nationals and I'm looking far too deep into this.

I'm English by birth and I have lived here my entire life. I am wanting to attend Glasgow University in 2023 to study for my first undergraduate degree. The reason for applying here is that they offer an Access course to study the subject I really want to. Here's the grey area which is concerning me.

1) I'm going to be moving to Scotland to study the Access course (40 credits), but in doing this, I am going to need To get a full-time job there (which I have now arranged) to support myself. So, my residence will be in Scotland. but, the only reason, as mentioned, is so I can set myself up to be ready to study the Access course there and for the start of University. This is easily explained, but I've heard it can be a pain when coming to applying to SFE. This leads me to an even more difficult area.

2) Literally right before Covid I was made homeless, and I spent the better part of a year couch surfing, with no fixed address. Although it was in England, I cant possibly remember every little bit of information as it was so mixed up. It's like trying to remember what you had to eat at this exact time, on this exact date, 2 years ago. I honestly can;t remember where I was as I jumped around a lot.

As covid settled, I managed to finally get back into employment and settled. Which I'm now, again, arranging a move. My confusion is if as a UK national who is normally a resident of England, will I be asked about my previous 3 years residency, and if so, how on earth do I even begin to explain this? I've also asked a few friends who have/are attending University, and they said they only were ever asked for their current address, and contact address - the latter due to obviously being different to their home address when they moved to the City. But, again, this was in England, so this has confused me a lot more about my move.

If you could please advise, it would be so muchly appreciated. Just to add, I've spoken to SAAS and they said my circumstances do not entitle me to apply from them, due to the length of time I'll be in Scotland prior to the course, and that even though the access course isn't technically University, I'm still moving to study. BUt regarding having a full-time job may make things difficult with SFE, as moving and working fully, can mean you moved for purposes other than studying. But, moving and finding a job is to set myself up ready for study. But, the main point being is that I definitely wouldn't qualify for SAAS, when I;ve literally explained to them the exact same I have to you.

Thank you.
Hi There,

As you’re a UK national with 3 years residency in the UK then you shouldn’t need to provide an address history; if you’re applying to ourselves then we’d only need your current and contact addresses when you apply.

Thanks, Erin N
SilentRumours
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Erin N)
Hi There,

As you’re a UK national with 3 years residency in the UK then you shouldn’t need to provide an address history; if you’re applying to ourselves then we’d only need your current and contact addresses when you apply.

Thanks, Erin N
Thankyou Erin.

What about the situation regarding moving to Scotland to study the Access course (part-time, starting in September, so will be getting a full-time job), seeing as this is actually moving to eventually study for a degree (the following year), but it wouldn't be until next year. As mentioned, the Access course is actually at Glasgow University and the course is intended to access their own degrees. I just wouldn't want to uplift my entire life, move, and then right before starting be told I'm not eligible for a loan from SFE, and I've already been told I'm not eligible for SAAS by themselves.

Thankyou.
Last edited by SilentRumours; 1 month ago
SilentRumours
Rep:
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
32.79%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.08%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.82%

Watched Threads