personal statement

Watch this thread
Adam_203
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
how long should my personal statement be? Mine is just under 2000 character and I don't know what else to put
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adam_203)
how long should my personal statement be? Mine is just under 2000 character and I don't know what else to put
This should help: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement
samanthaaaaaaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adam_203)
honestly its best to make it as close to the 4000 limit as possible/ the line limit cos thats a sneaky one. having more shows the unis that youre interested in your course and also able to do it. maybe you could read another article or two and discuss what they tell you and how itll be applied to your course etc?? or you might do some courses over the summer hols which you can talka bout, which could defo fill the space. or even work experience if you havent talked about that yet.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Good short video about Personal Syatements - with an excellent written guide mentioned at the end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8

Useful additional info if applying to competitive Unis - https://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/sites/defa...ular_guide.pdf
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
To fit within the line limit with paragraph spaces then 3,200-3,600 characters is about right.

What subject are you applying for?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Adam_203 it should be around 4000 characters, so that you have given yourself the best chance at getting into the university you want, by giving them more of who you are, why you chose this course and why you think you would succeed on the course. When I have trouble thinking of what to write, in an essay or an application, it can be helpful to step away for a moment and do something else, while your mind works on it subconsciously. Then, when you come back to it, you may have some new ideas for what to write.

Some pro-active options though, include:
- look up the university's values, or the values of your specific course (most courses should have a regulatory body/a higher organisation with chosen values) and you can write about how you embody these.
- Write about what first got you interested in the subject (could be a book you read, something you saw or participated in etc) then write about how you continued this passion (work experience, read books, did a research paper etc). From here you can write about why you are excited about your chosen university course. You can talk about what career you can go into once the course is complete, and specific modules you are especially intrigued by (if there are multiple courses you are interested in, see if they have similar modules and talk about those ones).
- If it is a specific university you are applying for, you can also talk about why them, why this uni? and you could also write about what you like about the city as well.

What universities are looking for in applications is passion, to know that you are are willing and able to do well, and that you want to be there and will appreciate your time at their university and city.

You could also receive help from staff at school, there should be someone who's job includes helping students with their personal statements. They will read through you application, make notes of words to change, they will look at the structure and give advice, and they will tell you what they think you could add. I found this so helpful when I was doing my personal statement, and so I think you would too.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise