The Student Room Group

urgent advice needed, missed first year uni exam

i missed one of my exams last week and I'm away for the resit exam period. I already talked to my uni about this and they said I shouldn't have booked my exam at that time and so now i don't know what my options are. The tickets will cost a fortune for me and I'm upset I'm in this mess because i was late for a few minutes. i wasn't let inside because i would disrupt others ..

Is it possible to still progress to next year without doing this exam? i passed the exam for the same module in term 1 but I've missed the second exam in term 2, which is this one. will i fail the whole year if i don't go to this one exam?
Original post by Susanakunn
i missed one of my exams last week and I'm away for the resit exam period. I already talked to my uni about this and they said I shouldn't have booked my exam at that time and so now i don't know what my options are. The tickets will cost a fortune for me and I'm upset I'm in this mess because i was late for a few minutes. i wasn't let inside because i would disrupt others ..

Is it possible to still progress to next year without doing this exam? i passed the exam for the same module in term 1 but I've missed the second exam in term 2, which is this one. will i fail the whole year if i don't go to this one exam?

You'll need to check your university's regulations. But you certainly should have made sure you wouldn't be away during the summer re-sit period for exactly this sort of reason.

Having failed an exam during the usual exam period (which you did by not attending) you'd be allowed to re-sit over the summer for a capped mark. If you should have been let into the exam when you arrived late, and weren't allowed to take it because the inviligilators weren't following the rules, the mitigation would be that the re-sit would be treated as a first sit and wouldn't be capped).

I suspect the university will have limited-to-no sympathy at a claim that you can't attend the re-sit because you're on holiday.

As I said, you need to check the regulations and have a discussion with your personal tutor as to what options you have and what the way forward is.

The best case is that you abandon your summer plans and do the re-sit. If you don't do the re-sit, it will be up to a progress board as to what the options are. These might be: (1) allow you conditional progression, where you retake the module in your second year alongside the other second year work; (2) they make you re-do the module as a supplementary year (i.e. that's the only module you do in that year) and you start year 2 in September 2023; (3) they require you to withdraw from the course and leave the university.

Quick Reply

Latest