Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in a sociologically-inspired mood, im wondering, did your parents go to uni? this poll is for all those intending to go/are at/have gone to uni. im interested to see just how much influence your parents' history has on whether you go...

ReputationRep:
    my dad went to cambridge, my mum went to LSE and droped out after 1st year.

then did a degree in building managment (?!?) when she was old followed by a PGCE

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    neither ;(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    neither ;(
    neither for me too. im breaking the class barrier by going!

ReputationRep:
    Dad = Cambridge
    Mum = Cambridge

lol

In fact, both left school at sixteen! My Dad worked his way up and has a great job now though. We're all happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Dad = Cambridge
    Mum = Cambridge

lol
    lol !
    so i guess youre aspiring to cambridge too eh?

ReputationRep:
    Yes -both of them. My mom went to a local community college in Virginia, and my dad went to Pepperdine University in California.

EDIT: I would just like to add that they're both in good jobs, my mom is a hotel manager in Washington DC and my dad is vice president of an aluminium importing business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha **)
    In fact, both left school at sixteen! My Dad worked his way up and has a great job now though. We're all happy.
    lucky
    my dads a caretaker lol, ah well it brings home the bacon.

Dad - Oxford
    Mum - Cambridge
    Me - Swindon College

ReputationRep:
    nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    lol !
    so i guess youre aspiring to cambridge too eh?
    Yes, although they don't put any pressure on me at all...I motivate myself
    I think my Dad was pressurised a lot as a child.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, both my parents went straight into full-time employment straight after finishing school school. Both then started doing degrees at night time. My mom dropped out after the first year but my dad went on to complete a masters. In short, I haven't got a clue how to answer this question

ReputationRep:
    hmm its running equal between those that have parents that did and those that didnt. i would have thought it would be a bit biased toward the children of those who did. thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Hmmmm, both my parents went straight into full-time employment straight after finishing school school. Both then started doing degrees at night time. My mom dropped out after the first year but my dad went on to complete a masters. In short, I haven't got a clue how to answer this question
    say yes to 'yes my father'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Similar to my Dad's job. None of my parents went to University, but people who have had similar backgrounds and have similar job's to my parents, their children aren't doing fantastically accidemically... so I guess that says something about my upbringing.
    yeah, although my parents didnt go to uni they brought me up 'intelligently' so im in just as good a position as those with uni-educated parents i reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Dad = Moved from Kenya to go to Loughborough Uni
    Mum = Didn't go to uni, but a Cardiff Art College

Results so far seem to show there's not much correlation between success of parents and oneself, eg tagzt at Ox tho neither of his parents went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Dad = Moved from Kenya to go to Loughborough Uni
    Mum = Didn't go to uni, but a Cardiff Art College

Results so far seem to show there's not much correlation between success of parents and oneself, eg tagzt at Ox tho neither of his parents went.
    yes. perhaps there is less of a correlation nowadays because more go to uni, which includes many ex-polys.

ReputationRep:
    My dad went to leeds and dropped out and my mum never went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Dad = Cambridge
    Mum = Cambridge

lol
    I'm guessing that's where they met?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.