replaythat
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wanted to know whether this was a universal experience or if it's just me o maybe just my medical school. Probs likely to be me. Anyway - context spent the last 3/4 weeks revising for my exams. Today was the exam, went absolutely crap but not the point. The point is when I opened my exam there were anatomy questions on things we (but in this teaching we aren't allowed to take notes) hadn't been taught in any of our lectures. I remember it was very briefly mentioned in my anatomy teaching, for like a minute . All the other modules seem to be fine in terms of preparing you for exams, but anatomy. But then again my uni does have a bad reputation for its anatomy teaching (see if anyone can guess). I believe it is a shared consensus that anatomy teaching is appalling and has been raised many times with department leads, but it seems no-one is doing anything. I can start a whole list, but my man has a lot of conflicting information in his lectures and responds 5 months later to emails. I was wondering whether other medical schools prepare their students well enough for anatomy exams. And if you have any tips, would forever be grateful - because I am currently failing.
Last edited by replaythat; 1 month ago
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by replaythat)
I wanted to know whether this was a universal experience or if it's just me o maybe just my medical school. Probs likely to be me. Anyway - context spent the last 3/4 weeks revising for my exams. Today was the exam, went absolutely crap but not the point. The point is when I opened my exam there were anatomy questions on things we hadn't been taught in any of our lectures. I remember it was very briefly mentioned in my anatomy teaching, for like a minute. All the other modules seem to be fine, but anatomy. But then again my uni does have a bad reputation for its anatomy teaching (see if anyone can guess). I believe it is a shared consensus that anatomy teaching is appalling and has been raised many times with department leads, but it seems no-one is doing anything. I can start a whole list, but my man has a lot of conflicting information in his lectures and responds 5 months later to emails. I was wondering whether other medical schools prepare their students well enough for anatomy exams. And if you have any tips, would forever be grateful - because I am currently failing.
Hi there.

Agashii_ because the night or starry study could help

Best wishes
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
Iwaizumi_
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I wanted to know whether this was a universal experience or if it's just me o maybe just my medical school. Probs likely to be me. Anyway - context spent the last 3/4 weeks revising for my exams. Today was the exam, went absolutely crap but not the point. The point is when I opened my exam there were anatomy questions on things we (but in this teaching we aren't allowed to take notes) hadn't been taught in any of our lectures. I remember it was very briefly mentioned in my anatomy teaching, for like a minute . All the other modules seem to be fine in terms of preparing you for exams, but anatomy. But then again my uni does have a bad reputation for its anatomy teaching (see if anyone can guess). I believe it is a shared consensus that anatomy teaching is appalling and has been raised many times with department leads, but it seems no-one is doing anything. I can start a whole list, but my man has a lot of conflicting information in his lectures and responds 5 months later to emails. I was wondering whether other medical schools prepare their students well enough for anatomy exams. And if you have any tips, would forever be grateful - because I am currently failing.
Heyy
firstly, sorry to hear your exam didn't go well. Im sure you did much better than you think :hugs:
And well, I won't lie, our anatomy lecturer is AMAZING. he;s by far my most favourite lecturer, but I'll explain how my med school does anatomy.
We have weekly anatomy labs. Before the anatomy lab, they release a pre-work video where our lecturer explains everything we need to know for that lab, which is really useful cuz then when we enter the lab to spot test on the actual cadavers, we know what we're looking at. Just to point out, my med school does prosection so everythings been nicely chopped up and presented for us (which i think helps A LOT). In the anatomy lab, we have helpers so we if have any questions, they explain everything to us.
We have also 'revision sessions' where the anatomy lecturer goes over previous sessions.
Honestly, i think our med skl does anatomy really well and im sorry to hear yours doesnt
Im a first year medic too but if you need any help, feel free to ask
In terms of tips:
-Use cadaver images to help you revise. You can find these online.
-Greys anatomy has amazing diagrams
-A girl on my course swears by this website: http://www.anatomyguy.com/ (but i've never used it).
- test urself on diagrams
-learn HOW and WHERE things are positioned and what innervates them and where do the blood supply come from
-use pneumonics to help you. for e.g. all the retroperitoneal organs can be remembered using SAD PUCKER :lol: or nerves that innervate the diaphragam can be remembered by the phrase 'C3, C4, C5 keeps my diaphragm alive' etc

All this being said, anatomy is really really difficult so don't put yourself down. Im sure you're doing amazing despite the circumstances
Good luck :jumphug:
Last edited by Agashii_; 1 month ago
Iwaizumi_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

Agashii_ because the night or starry study could help

Best wishes
thanks for the tag :hugs:
replaythat
Rep:
(Original post by Agashii_)
Heyy
firstly, sorry to hear your exam didn't go well. Im sure you did much better than you think :hugs:
And well, I won't lie, our anatomy lecturer is AMAZING. he;s by far my most favourite lecturer, but I'll explain how my med school does anatomy.
We have weekly anatomy labs. Before the anatomy lab, they release a pre-work video where our lecturer explains everything we need to know for that lab, which is really useful cuz then when we enter the lab to spot test on the actual cadavers, we know what we're looking at. Just to point out, my med school does prosection so everythings been nicely chopped up and presented for us (which i think helps A LOT). In the anatomy lab, we have helpers so we if have any questions, they explain everything to us.
We have also 'revision sessions' where the anatomy lecturer goes over previous sessions.
Honestly, i think our med skl does anatomy really well and im sorry to hear yours doesnt
Im a first year medic too but if you need any help, feel free to ask
In terms of tips:
-Use cadaver images to help you revise. You can find these online.
-Greys anatomy has amazing diagrams
-A girl on my course swears by this website: http://www.anatomyguy.com/ (but i've never used it).
- test urself on diagrams
-learn HOW and WHERE things are positioned and what innervates them and where do the blood supply come from
-use pneumonics to help you. for e.g. all the retroperitoneal organs can be remembered using SAD PUCKER :lol: or nerves that innervate the diaphragam can be remembered by the phrase 'C3, C4, C5 keeps my diaphragm alive' etc

All this being said, anatomy is really really difficult so don't put yourself down. Im sure you're doing amazing despite the circumstances
Good luck :jumphug:
Omg soo lucky, we get lectures which arent even relevant to our prosection, though we do get anatomy helpers. There is this one really rude one though and she doesnt help anyone and stands there judging you for not knowing it. Those revision sessions must be very useful, wish we had something like that. Our varies depends on which tutor you have. For all module anatomy sessions, we only get a pre-worksheet and have to answer qs takes about an hour and half. Then we turn up to the session and it literally depends on which tutor is leading the session how well you understand. For example, one tutor expects you to know everysingle thing in regards to that specific area, closed book and only one person can make notes and just makes you stand at the front and answer qs. Another seems too lazy and is like do whatever you wanna do. And another is like i’ll set you tasks and done. In all of this, not a single tutor will release answers to anatomy worksheet and nor will the anatomy dept. Lack of standardisation is the real problem. But yeah absolutely hate it.

omg thank you so much, i’ll try out some of the tips tommorow and let you know. I have an anatomy exam on Friday
Iwaizumi_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Omg soo lucky, we get lectures which arent even relevant to our prosection, though we do get anatomy helpers. There is this one really rude one though and she doesnt help anyone and stands there judging you for not knowing it. Those revision sessions must be very useful, wish we had something like that. Our varies depends on which tutor you have. For all module anatomy sessions, we only get a pre-worksheet and have to answer qs takes about an hour and half. Then we turn up to the session and it literally depends on which tutor is leading the session how well you understand. For example, one tutor expects you to know everysingle thing in regards to that specific area, closed book and only one person can make notes and just makes you stand at the front and answer qs. Another seems too lazy and is like do whatever you wanna do. And another is like i’ll set you tasks and done. In all of this, not a single tutor will release answers to anatomy worksheet and nor will the anatomy dept. Lack of standardisation is the real problem. But yeah absolutely hate it.

omg thank you so much, i’ll try out some of the tips tommorow and let you know. I have an anatomy exam on Friday
that sounds like a pain to deal with

ill attach the free version of greys anatomy flashcards i found online, they're really useful and I hope they help!!
Do keep me updated :hugs: Wishing you the best of luck

it wont let me upload, hold up gimme a sec
replaythat
Rep:
thank you so much, and good luck for your exams too!
(Original post by Agashii_)
that sounds like a pain to deal with

ill attach the free version of greys anatomy flashcards i found online, they're really useful and I hope they help!!
Do keep me updated :hugs: Wishing you the best of luck

it wont let me upload, hold up gimme a sec
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.5%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (54)
45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads